633     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 449     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 775     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Finch LRT Yonge Extension.jpg

My own Finch LRT Yonge Extension

Tunnelling under Finch and Yonge is time-consuming and expensive, use the hydro corridor instead.

What kind of concerns can there be when trails, playing fields, bus terminal, and parking are already under the wires?
Different rules now then when those were all approved, it's been discussed in other forms that basically hydro is conserned about what could happen if one of the wires came down.

^It would be interesting to see a cost comparison of burying the wires and building a surface LRT versus surface construction in the median of Finch versus tunnelled construction versus cut and cover in the Hydro corridor.

I have a feeling that this particular hydro corridor is simply too critical, and has too many circuits, to be buryable. Just my gut feeling. But as we consider needs for cross-city transit, particularly express type lines - not to mention the Missing Link - it's pretty important to ask whether there is a scenario where use of the Hydro corridors becomes possible.

- Paul

I have a feeling that any hydro corridor can be buried with the right engineering. If you want to do a cost analysis, consider the development potential of the corridor too. Bury the wires, build a street with the LRT on it, and allow for mixed-use construction along the street for a new focal point for the neighbourhood. The wires will be in a waterproof underground tunnel and will always be accessible with access shafts.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that any hydro corridor can be buried with the right engineering. If you want to do a cost analysis, consider the development potential of the corridor too. Bury the wires, build a street with the LRT on it, and allow for mixed-use construction along the street for a new focal point for the neighbourhood. The wires will be in a waterproof underground tunnel and will always be accessible with access shafts.
It has little to do with engineering, and everything to do with cost versus benefit. The technology already exists.

In fact, Toronto Hydro has buried sections of existing medium- and high-voltage corridors when the time came for renewal, as it made sense to them to do so.

Dan

Toronto’s Finch West LRT with Wade O’Leary, project Vice President - August 2021
In this video conversation with Wade O'Leary, Vice President of the Finch West LRT project, we discuss this important transit infrastructure project, that will connect people quicker than ever before in this heavy transit corridor, the line, the trains, and some of the unique design features of the line.

Back