News   Mar 28, 2024
 520     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 336     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

44th Canadian Federal Election

Gad, who knows. I'm not schooled in the dark arts. Ontario isn't due until June. Current pandemic; concerns of 4th wave, BC fires, typical avoidance of a 'depth of winter' election and on and on. It does leave them next March/April, but who's know how the backroom strategizes things like polls, opposition positioning, pre-election largesse timing, etc.

If the numbers are in their favor, I can see the liberals pulling the plug.

FWIW, my understanding is that Liberals at least have a campaign bus on stand-by, ready-to-go.
They could eat that cost if a decision were made to delay the election.........

But I'm still fairly sure we're looking at fall; the only real questions being when the writ is dropped, and what date.

I think the only real debate, I've heard is whether the date will be late September to further into October as was previously contemplated (to my understanding).

If the writ drops next week, following the NS election, that would allow for a date as early as late September (assuming a six-week campaign).
If it doesn't drop next week, we're very likely heading for October.

But I could be wrong, and plans could change.

My gut is that JT postpones the election call until the fourth wave settles down.

Also in seeming election news, the NDP have a 'commitments' book out, which looks suspiciously like a platform.

At 115 pages deep.............they are committing to everything.

Its not a bad document per se, from a progressive policy perspective.

But the sheer scale may put some middle-of-the-road voters off.

Notables:

Universal Pharmacare
Dentalcare for anyone w/o insurance
$20 per hour Federal Minimum wage, indexed to inflation.
Disability benefits under EI from 15 to 50 weeks
Capped cell phone pricing in line w/international norms
Endorsing $10 per day daycare

+++ lots more

To be paid for by;

Net wealth tax of 1% on wealth greater than 10M
15% tax on Excess Profit during Pandemic
Capital Gains inclusion to 75% (this one I like)
Raise Corporate Tax rate 3 points to 18%
Raise top marginal tax rate by 2 points

Also in seeming election news, the NDP have a 'commitments' book out, which looks suspiciously like a platform.

At 115 pages deep.............they are committing to everything.

Its not a bad document per se, from a progressive policy perspective.

But the sheer scale may put some middle-of-the-road voters off.

Notables:

Universal Pharmacare
Dentalcare for anyone w/o insurance
$20 per hour Federal Minimum wage, indexed to inflation.
Disability benefits under EI from 15 to 50 weeks
Capped cell phone pricing in line w/international norms
Endorsing $10 per day daycare

+++ lots more

To be paid for by;

Net wealth tax of 1% on wealth greater than 10M
15% tax on Excess Profit during Pandemic
Capital Gains inclusion to 75% (this one I like)
Raise Corporate Tax rate 3 points to 18%
Raise top marginal tax rate by 2 points

Correct if I am wrong but would a federal minimum wage not be for employees of the crown only?

Correct if I am wrong but would a federal minimum wage not be for employees of the crown only?

No, it would cover any employee in a Federally Regulated Industry.

So workers in the Banking Sector, the Railways, and Communications (TV stations/Cable Channels etc) would be among those to whom it would apply, in addition to Federal government employees.

Regardless of the election being called this week, the real campaign won't happen until after Labour Day. People are completely tuned out. They are at the cottage, on vacation, or outdoors.

I would take any poll right now with a grain of salt.

Regardless of the election being called this week, the real campaign won't happen until after Labour Day. People are completely tuned out. They are at the cottage, on vacation, or outdoors.

I would take any poll right now with a grain of salt.

Still, once the writs are dropped the game is on.

I am more interested in knowing how badly O'toole ends up doing.

Still, once the writs are dropped the game is on.

I am more interested in knowing how badly O'toole ends up doing.

Yea, I mean, I don't think O'Toole is actually sitting in majority territory or anything. But it wouldn't surprise me if the polls look different now than a month from now.

Yea, I mean, I don't think O'Toole is actually sitting in majority territory or anything. But it wouldn't surprise me if the polls look different now than a month from now.

No doubt they will. I am fully expecting it to be a tighter race than we all think.

Then again.. if all the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers come out of the woodwork, I can see the conservatives taking a hit. It's no secret that the fringe anti-mask and anti-vaxx groups are positioned alongside the conservatives.

If they start trying to spew their rhetoric in an election, it will be damaging to the conservatives. As much as elections are about making your case to the people, most people in Canada want to get back to normal life which means vaccinations and masks.

Back