Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

A gondola over a series of massive, under-utilized parking lots.
A gondola over a series of deserts between Ontario Place and Exhibition Station/loop.
cable-car-5090015_960_720.jpg
From link.

According to Wikipedia: “The gondola has high wind stability and is designed to operate in winds up to 80 km/h. Whistler-Blackcomb has called the Peak 2 Peak Gondola the most wind tolerant lift on Whistler Blackcomb. Testing at other Doppelmayr 3S installations have measured sustained winds at 120 km/h (75 mph) with no decrease in performance.”

According to Wikipedia: “The gondola has high wind stability and is designed to operate in winds up to 80 km/h. Whistler-Blackcomb has called the Peak 2 Peak Gondola the most wind tolerant lift on Whistler Blackcomb. Testing at other Doppelmayr 3S installations have measured sustained winds at 120 km/h (75 mph) with no decrease in performance.”
however, I don't think passengers would be too comfortable in 80 MPH winds in a gondola suspended from a rope.

however, I don't think passengers would be too comfortable in 80 MPH winds in a gondola suspended from a rope.
How many 80 mph wind days are there in Ontario annually on average? None. It’s rare to reach wind speeds of half that number. We’re not talking about building a transportation system using gondolas, just a two or three station experience that fits in well with the history and atmosphere of the CNE and Ontario Place. Personally I’d love to see it go farther, like to Toronto Island and Cherry Beach, but we’re too chicken shit to do anything interesting.

How many 80 mph wind days are there in Ontario annually on average? None. It’s rare to reach wind speeds of half that number. We’re not talking about building a transportation system using gondolas, just a two or three station experience that fits in well with the history and atmosphere of the CNE and Ontario Place. Personally I’d love to see it go farther, like to Toronto Island and Cherry Beach, but we’re too chicken shit to do anything interesting.
Too cheap, to acquire the appropriate system to withstand moderate wind gusts.
Too chicken out, would shut down the gondola/aerial tram whenever wind gust hits 50km/h (which is quite common).

But as AoD has pointed out, the main issue will be it interfering with airport operation.
Not a bad idea to run it to the Islands - BUT - it is probably not doable in the short/medium term since it will interfere with the airport.

AoD

Too cheap, to acquire the appropriate system to withstand moderate wind gusts.
Too chicken out, would shut down the gondola/aerial tram whenever wind gust hits 50km/h (which is quite common).

But as AoD has pointed out, the main issue will be it interfering with airport operation.
And the Canadian International Air Show. Saturday, September 4 & Sunday, September 5 from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm

2021 CIAS Announcement

From link.

The Canadian International Air Show (CIAS) is thrilled to announce the show will be returning to the skies over Lake Ontario in 2021!

This took a team effort to achieve this goal and we would like to thank our presenting sponsor Lockheed Martin, the Ontario Government, and the City of Toronto for their tireless hard work in making this year’s show possible!

Our 2021 Show will be held on Saturday, September 4 & Sunday, September 5 from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm and we’re excited to showcase the Canadian Forces Snowbirds & CF-18, United States Air Force F35, a P-51 Mustang and more to come.

To respect current social distancing guidelines, we will not have our ticketed Exclusive Airshow Zone in 2021. Instead, we will have our narration streamed live for free as a Thank you to all Canadians for the sacrifices they made during the past 18 months.

We ask attendees to follow current COVID guidelines. There is 14kms of public viewing space between the Humber Bridge & the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to accommodate social distancing. Parking is available at Exhibition Place and Ontario Place, or you can take public transit.

We will provide more information on the free online narration, updates on our performers and other important information as it becomes available. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and continue to visit us hereon our website.

If you want to have updates sent straight to your inbox, become an Air Show Insider through our website. We look forward to seeing you from the skies above Toronto again this year!
Thank you for your ongoing support of the CIAS.
Bring your safari gear.

which is why it would not operate at a higher wind speed. I pointed out that the one they have in Walt Disney world shuts down if the wind exceeded 30 MPH. Wind conditions suspend in the ar are very different they are on the ground

A gondola over a series of massive, under-utilized parking lots.
Exhibition Place belongs in any generic suburban region, not in the middle of an urban core. It’s a massive parking lot 90% of the year. I’m amazed it’s survived until 2021. I would be ecstatic to see the thing bulldozed and replaced with something actually useful year round.

Exhibition Place belongs in any generic suburban region, not in the middle of an urban core. It’s a massive parking lot 90% of the year. I’m amazed it’s survived until 2021. I would be ecstatic to see the thing bulldozed and replaced with something actually useful year round.
Most of the CNE buildings are important architectural landmarks, Beaux-Arts or Futurist, for example. I don’t want to see those buildings removed. Much can be done to integrate it and connect it to the rest of the city.

A gondola on the CNE grounds is perfectly reasonable and wouldn’t disrupt air traffic, but don’t worry, you won’t get them, nor will you get much of interest. You will get more rows of non-descript future St. Jamestowns. Nothing of interest will be built because the city doesn’t care enough and will just turn it over to real estate. Boring and predictable.

Back