Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

They should stucco the outside as a re-fresh and add digital signage to the large blank walls. On the inside, align the seats to look at the infield (football configuration now), get rid of the Jay shops that separate the concourse from the seating, and eliminate big swaths of seating on the 500 level - replace them with go-to attractions like the popular West Jet sky deck.

Those of are minor concern. The big issues is, it's an indoor stadium. Even when the roof is open, you don't get that feeling you're in a baseball stadium because everything is so high and enclosed. The current situation right now, it's like being in a car with a sun roof, as apposed to a convertible.

They have to find a way to tear down the walls a bit and some how create some other open space areas, otherwise your wasting your time and not getting the desired outcome of true classic ballpark, but with a modern twist to it that still allows games to be played when it rains.

From what I've heard from my friends at Oxford, this will be a retrofit of the existing stadium not a completely new build.
Is this new info? The Globe and Mail article pretty clearly stated that the intent was a brand new stadium, built immediately south of the dome (or elsewhere in the city if that turns out to be too difficult).

Is this new info? The Globe and Mail article pretty clearly stated that the intent was a brand new stadium, built immediately south of the dome (or elsewhere in the city if that turns out to be too difficult).

I doubt they would spend billions of dollars on a retrofit when the stadiums is barely up to MLB standards as it is.

That stadium needs more than a new turf and an updated concourse. It's aging and needs a complete overhaul.

Yeah I think he's got old news. The other site they're looking at is the Portlands, where the Google smart city was supposed to be.

Also I was at the game last night. I love this ballpark and I see no reason why they need tear it down and build a new one. Its iconic and beautiful and is a great atmosphere for baseball. I'd hate to see it go.

Come on, beautiful?

I think the atmosphere can be great for baseball....provided the stadium is full, and the team is competitive. But on an average day, it can feel a bit dismal. With the dome closed, oppressive.

A new stadium could be better. If done right, it could become one of the best in the league. And it could become an attraction in itself. The Rogers Centre will never be Wrigley Field, or Fenway, parks that are draws in themselves despite being old and not terribly good venues.

Shapiro had said the pandemic caused Rogers to pause on major plans such as a new stadium. Doesn't mean it's off the table, but nothing is currently in the works.

Shapiro had said the pandemic caused Rogers to pause on major plans such as a new stadium. Doesn't mean it's off the table, but nothing is currently in the works.

No doubt they are starting to warm back up to the idea. Eventually they will need a new stadium and they will have to work quickly to secure the land before it is turned into condos.

Things are in the works, we just don’t know about them as Shapiro isn’t even the guy heading it anymore. It’s much bigger in scale and the big dawgs are the ones making the plans.

No doubt they are starting to warm back up to the idea. Eventually they will need a new stadium and they will have to work quickly to secure the land before it is turned into condos.

Funny thing is, now would have been the perfect time to build a new stadium with the Blue Jays playing on the road for the past two years.

Someone has been watching a Night at the Roxbury a little too much....
haven't seen it but let me elaborate. the jays only open the roof under the most optimal conditions. if it's even a little cool out, they keep it closed. on sunny days, they'll open it. what should be the case instead is to build it with the idea that it'll always be open and they close it during rainy weather. so it would be open in april and may even though it's cloudy and chilly, and it would be open during those freakishly weird cold days that happen sometimes in the summer.

Right now it's the exact opposite.

This makes no sense and they absolutely won't be doing that. The stadium is completely outdated, it's way to big and in need of upgrades that just aren't worth the money.

They need a stadium that players like (helps attract free agents) and that looks good on T.V to get more viewers.

It was outdated 4 years after it opened when Camden Yards came along. By the late 1990's it was one of the worst stadiums in baseball but we were stuck with it as it was only 10 years old. By the time we get a new stadium, it will be 40 years old.

How is it completely outdated?

I don't think the Rogers Centre is stopping anyone from tuning into televised games.

It's the last active cookie cutter stadium in existence.... that alone makes it outdated. Also found it interesting they sent a survey asking a ton of questions .. including postal code. That reminded me of the Braves ... who used zip code info from a similar survey to abandon their downtown stadium and move to a new stadium in a suburb of Atlanta as over 70% were coming from that suburb. Maybe rogers isn't as attached to the downtown site as some earlier thought..

Back