Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
On another note: it's astonishing how fast the excavation is proceeding for Tower 2; at this torrid pace it might actually be finished before The One.
And I've just discovered that "torrid" has a totally opposite definition in North American English than it does in British English. I'll add it to my ever growing list of abuses of the Queen's English! :)

1626979538411.png

Out of curiosity, what purpose did these I-beams/pillars serve? Were they just to support the weight of the buses in the old terminal?

Apparently I wasn't the only one surprised by those things. New community update:

Construction Notice

Dear Neighbours,

Below is a brief update on the CIBC SQUARE project:

Construction at 141 Bay Street:
While we continue to make significant progress at 141 Bay Street, please note that our crews have exposed abandoned foundations below grade at the site. These abandoned foundations must be removed promptly in order to maintain the construction schedule at CIBC SQUARE. As a result, our crews may be working earlier than previously communicated.

The removal work on the abandoned foundations will be intermittent over the next few weeks, and is expected to be completed by the end of August. Elements of this removal work will be occurring between 6AM-7AM, which remains in compliance with the Ontario government’s regulation permitting extended construction hours during COVID-19.

Thank you for your understanding. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Apparently I wasn't the only one surprised by those things. New community update:
Really not surprising to find old foundations all over downtown as there have been buildings here for 200 years. On Scott St at Berczy a few years ago they ran into 'area-ways' that used to belong to the old Board of trade Building that was at Scott & Front and they stretched well out under the street and the Bay had to deal with some from their building on Richmond side a few years ago - they were well out from the sidewalk and I think they filled them in.

Back