Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Great Hall restoration at 99% - did they restore all the marble flooring already?

AoD
Some (a couple of years ago) but certainly not all. I suppose the remaining floor and the lighting may just be 1% of the whole job in the Great Hall but they REALLY need to be done!

Some (a couple of years ago) but certainly not all. I suppose the remaining floor and the lighting may just be 1% of the whole job in the Great Hall but they REALLY need to be done!

Yes I recall one corner was done years ago and then it stayed that way since. Hard to imagine all that remaining work constitutes only 1% of the Great Hall portion of the project (unless it's a checklist with a few hundred items, and 99% completion is strictly on that basis regardless of the scale of that particular item).

AoD

Last edited:
Yes I recall one corner was done years ago and then it stayed that way since. Hard to imagine all that remaining work constitutes only 1% of the Great Hall portion of the project (unless it's a checklist with a few hundred items, and 99% completion is strictly on that basis regardless of the scale of that particular item).

AoD
I think the restoration of the stonework on walls and ceiling were quite major due to water infiltration and they did quite a bit of the flooring. Was it 99%? Who knows!

I investigated further.

I am told that 'substantial completion' including painting that ceiling in the Front Street Promenade should be complete by month's end.

However, this does not include the Great Hall lighting.

Nor does it mean Mx will open their concourse space (probably sometime this fall)..........

Nor that we will see much more retail..........the large remaining section (below VIA) is looking to be open in early 2022 it seems.
I was at Union yesterday and ZERO sign of repainting the ceiling below the Great Hall. If they hope to finish it by the end of the month (THIS month!) they need to get busy!

Still no sign of any ceiling painting in area below Great Hall but I walked through the west Bay Teamway today and there was an army of men (no women I think) scrubbing windows and doors (maybe for first time ever!). If we had not been disappointed so often before I would say this means the Bay Concourse is opening but ....

B32C61EA-3C46-4EC3-A365-B8D81A8E92B5.jpeg
1EEEB5A1-3F29-4AF3-B06E-D2FE67689999.jpeg
I passed through union today and noticed the back walkway toward the bay concourse had its hoarding taken down

Sooner or later it WILL open up. Is soon 'on the horizon"?

No insider insight here..........but I passed by (The Bay Concourse) 2 evenings ago, on my way to Union Subway Stn.
I did note real action having occurred behind the hoarding.........drywall is up in some locations.
So there is some movement there.

Hi all, is there a good Union Station map that shows -everything- once completed?

All the mistmatched lighting temperature... it hurts!

There's a certain architecture columnist known to UT members.............maybe he can devote a column to all of the shortcomings in the Union restoration..........

Perhaps also pigeon-hole the project manager's on them.

Lighting temperature (and inconsistency therein); light fixtures (VIA concourse) and the exterior stair railings which are rusting and falling apart despite being nearly new would top my list.

Back