Gladstone Hotel Purchase, Renovation

20210417_095940.jpg
20210417_100030.jpg
20210417_100102.jpg
20210417_100718.jpg
20210417_100748.jpg

The Gladstone Hotel is reopening under a new name in September

July 19, 2021

The Gladstone Hotel will reopen in September under a name that pays homage to an engraving on the Queen West landmark’s exterior: Gladstone House.

Developers Streetcar Developments and Dream Unlimited, which bought the building from the Zeidler family last March, have now announced some details around the 132-year-old hotel’s reopening, which will happen in phases.

In a press release, the developers said the hotel will continue to program art and culture events, including the popular Drag Brunch in the Melody Bar. The hotel will “maintain its emphasis on culture, art and diversity, while ensuring the building’s rich history and iconic original architecture remain preserved,” a statement reads.

London, UK-based design firm Elastic Interiors revamped the Gladstone’s interiors, which now includes a ceiling mural in the lobby by Legends League artist and designer Bryan Espiritu.

Event programming details have not been announced, but wedding, corporate and other private event bookings, as well as room reservations, are now open via the hotel’s sleek new website. The first available room booking date is September 7.

Each of the hotel’s 55 guest rooms, as well as public spaces, will feature work by local artists. The artists were chosen via a call for submissions that attracted more than 500 entries, the hotel said in a statement.

The bistro and bar promise to offer a “true lobby bar experience” and will reopen in the fall for daily service. Gladstone House will also open three studios devoted to “lifestyle, fitness and art programs.”

Meanwhile, the Melody Bar will also reopen later in the fall with programming “targeted to entice the neighbourhood as well as the Greater Toronto Area,” the hotel said.

A couple interior renderings from their new website:

glads.jpg
glads2.jpg

The rooms look even worse. All the character and uniqueness has been stripped. :( My friend used to stay there a lot when he visited, but with prices now $300 to over $400 a night, i doubt he will be staying there now. It going to be another hang out for the corporate yuppie crowd.

Last edited:
I can't say these renderings are necessarily bad, but I agree they don't have the same authenticity as the previous version.

That said, it could've been much worse.

The rooms look even worse. All the character and uniqueness has been stripped. :( My friend used to stay there a lot when he visited, but with prices now $300 to over $400 a night, i doubt he will he staying there now. It going to be another hang out for the corporate yuppie crowd.

Exactly what I thought when I looked at the website. I once spent a weekend there for a change of pace, and I was delighted - I even have a framed picture by photographer Nancy Paiva of the late Hank Young, who used to man the elevator, sitting in the now-gone Melody Bar. I wouldn't count on this generic and sanitized "house" to make such a positive impression on me.

Back