News   Apr 24, 2024
 994     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

I believe the plan is to plant Maples.

Silver Maples are fast-growing and can reach 25 feet within 10 years. Red and Sugar Maples can reach 18 to 25 feet within 10 years. Norway Maples reach less than 18 feet within 10 years.

A few years ago my neighbours cut down a large Silver Maple that had provided shade for both our back gardens, and they were surprised to learn that it was only 20 years old when they counted the growth rings.
Oh that would be nice then.

Couldn't they plant mature trees?

They could, but yikes, that's a lot of trees, which would be a lot of money.

Yeah maples grow really quick and are the tree of choice these days when planting in boulevards in the new burbs. I've seen 5-year old maples look like 20 year olds in growth. It's all about providing enough space and maintenance, which shouldn't be a problem down on the waterfront.

Walked past this the other day. Can't say it's terrible impressive.

I also made use of HTO park. It's definitely a step in the right direction, but still somewhat underwhelming.

I think the people who praise these things are showing how low our standards have become. And this is coming from someone who lives just up the street from them and will be making use of them often.

I went to HTO park a few days ago for the first time and have to agree. It's certainly a big improvement over what was there, but it's very artificial looking. The "beach" in particular is just a small, rectangular sand box, surrounded by...concrete. It should have been much bigger, and the walkways around it perhaps a wooden boardwalk, or hell, have the sand meet the grass like it actually does in nature. And how about those fake little round hills that jut out of the ground like breast implants? If the designers were trying to imitate nature, the park fails spectacularly, but, as I said before, it's a zillion times better than a gravel parking lot, and it seems to attract people to that part of the water front.

I went to HTO park a few days ago for the first time and have to agree. It's certainly a big improvement over what was there, but it's very artificial looking. The "beach" in particular is just a small, rectangular sand box, surrounded by...concrete. It should have been much bigger, and the walkways around it perhaps a wooden boardwalk, or hell, have the sand meet the grass like it actually does in nature. And how about those fake little round hills that jut out of the ground like breast implants? If the designers were trying to imitate nature, the park fails spectacularly, but, as I said before, it's a zillion times better than a gravel parking lot, and it seems to attract people to that part of the water front.

Of course he wasn't trying to imitate nature. That should be obvious.

He? Who? Janet Rosenberg? :p

I love hTO. It's been a huge success. I could definitely use some polishing elements like a boardwalk surrounding the "sandbox" but so far, it's the best new development on our waterfront.

From this:

picture4eq2.png

To this:

picture3jr6.png

My only questions is: When are they going to tackle that parking lot on the north side of Queens Quay?

If the Gardiner weren't in the way, that large area would make a great park, leading from the SkyDome/CN Tower to the lake.

yeah, if only instead of the gardiner there was a nice grand "University ave" style boulevard, then a park would be perfect for that area.

...wait:rolleyes:

From this:

picture4eq2.png

To this:

picture3jr6.png

My only questions is: When are they going to tackle that parking lot on the north side of Queens Quay?

If the Gardiner weren't in the way, that large area would make a great park, leading from the SkyDome/CN Tower to the lake.

First, where did you get that rendering?

Second, I don't know if I'd rather see a park or a row of 4 or 5 storey buildings with shopping/cafes and 3 or 4 levels of residential above it. I live right beside that parking lot and I feel like in the area we have enough parkland, and could really use a bit of Queen St in the area. Cafes especially would enhance the area and make it feel like more of a destination. Another option is perhaps a pedestrian market or mall similar to the Carnaby St area of London that would have store fronts along the street and have a maze of laneways towards Lakeshore. Kind of create a bit of Europe on the waterfront.

The are does indeed need some cafe's. When I was down there last night there wasn't much to do but sit on the beach chairs and wish you had brought a drink with you.

The pictures are from Microsoft's live maps arial view. Live maps absolutely destroys google maps at the moment.

Nothing is going to happen with the parking lot until there is a plan as to what going to take place for the Whole "QQ". Only then, this and other things will be look at in more detail and be consider.

The Spadina slip will see stainless steel edges on area's where skaters will try to use to skateboard on. This will happen to all slips

The Construction of the Spadina bridge is to get under way this fall as well the Rees and Simcoe slips.

The wood is supposed to last 25-40 years.

Testing of underwater lighting was to take place at the Spadina slip Thursday night.

Simcoe slip will see 2 meter hills.

The 2 new slips are to be open in June 2009 as well the bridge. July opening for Spadina this year.

The dirt area will see concrete sidewalk with landscaping done under the redevelopment of QQ.

Come this fall, there will be a push to start on north-south linkage now the Gardiner issue is underway.

it looks like something from the Sims

Urbandreamer said:
Otherwise, those mounds make great places to play around with the girlfriend. (The area is very quiet at night....)

That was you? Good show.

Back