Toronto Scarborough Junction Masterplan | 188.3m | 58s | Republic | Giannone Petricone

scarrj.jpg
scarrj2.jpg

DTAH are landscape architects on this project and part of a planning and design team led by Giannone Petricone Associates with Bousfields Inc., BA Group, and Hatch.

Now, I know I should just be grateful for a pretty progressive proposal at this location.

But, it just makes me greedy.

I look at this, and then I look at the surface GO Station parking on the other side, and low-density SFH, and ..........

1604792913642.png

I really feel though this entire block should be removed.

It ought to be rebuilt to similar density as across the way with a modest transition or buffer to the residual SFH.

The GO parking should be made underground and moved beneath the new development. If possible, access should be from Midland.

Then the parking can become a linear greenspace with bike trail connecting to St. Clair Avenue.

Further.........
1604793078488.png

This block here should also be removed, allowing the linear park and bike trail to reach Kennedy.

I would then like to see the adjacent homes in the blocks bounded by Kennedy to Claremore redeveloped with medium density housing transitioning from 8-12 floors on Kennedy to stacked towns in the interior.

With those now all being easily linked to the GO Stn by walking/bike path.

I know, I know give an inch, he takes a mile.

Thanks PMT for consolidating all the development renderings and docs. Useful for future reference.

Hopefully there is design & traffic flow considerations for entry/exit to the GO parking. As it is currently, folks who used the parking would congest the exit local streets at peak rush hours. With increased density and development attention, hopefully Metrolinx and this group of developers will consider improving the access to the station.

@NorthernLights - interesting thoughts around that first block. I actually would look at the autoshop strips as well on the north side of St.Clair as an opportunity to tie in the main street. There are a few plots set up for sale commercially if I recall.

Republic debuts with huge Scarborough Junction development

Dec. 7, 2020

Scarborough Junction plans

The plan for Scarborough Junction covers 10 development blocks that will include 17 residential buildings ranging in size from 12 to 48 storeys and encompassing 5.27 million square feet. They’ll have 5,818 condo units, including 22 live/work units, and 801 purpose-built rental units.

Also proposed are: 165,000 square feet of retail space, including a grocery store; a 40,000-square-foot community facility; a 10,000-square-foot daycare centre; a new 5,780-square-foot GO station; a 4.63-acre park; 3,666 parking spaces; a number of privately owned but publicly accessible spaces, including a public square surrounded by retail; plazas throughout the site; and a live/work pedestrian mews.

“The Harlo team manages all back-office functions, including accounting, finance and investor relations, while my team focuses on the front end,” said Young.

Giannone Petricone Associates is the architect and DTAH is the landscape designer. Bousfields Inc. is in charge of planning, BA Group is overseeing transportation planning and Counterpoint Engineering is heading servicing and civil engineering activities.

Young expects to have all of Scarborough Junction’s approvals within 18 months. As soon as those are secured, the first phase of construction could start within two years. There’s some contamination to remediate and site servicing and road construction will need to be done before building development can begin.

A tentative phasing plan is being assembled.

“If we can start construction on the first phases within four years, it’s not unreasonable to expect that with decent absorption we could be building at least one to two new phases per year,” said Young. “It’s probably a 10-year construction period for the overall project.”

Preliminary Report on this one to the next Scarborough Community Council on April 23, 2021.

There's a lot in this report.

A couple of things that caught my attention:

1617977848792.png

Also

After deduction of the railway setback area noted above, the net parkland dedication currently proposed would be reduced to 1.4561 hectares, resulting in a parkland dedication shortfall of 1,961 square metres. The applicant is encouraged to revise the development proposals to make up for this deficiency, and minimize reliance on cash-in-lieu for parkland dedications.

Of note, this report is also looking at development on the Danforth Triangle lands bounded by Danforth/Kennedy/St. Clair.

1617978212782.png

1617978241748.png

Front page today about this project at the DRP:

Coverage in a local newspaper of the Scarborough Junction Master Plan: (Page 4/5) https://www.bluffsmonitor.com/wp-content/uploads/flipbook/92/book.html

Notable highlights - breaking ground in 3-4 years, and completion in 16-20 years.

I'm quite the novice following these types of developments, wondering if this sounds normal/reasonable. Also wondering where they got the timeline from when there wasn't much else news regarding this elsewhere. I wonder how this project will iteratively complete, will they do building blocks by building blocks? I.E - 2-3 towers every few years with the commercial spaces allocated at grade opening as the towers complete?

Very excited to watch this take shape.

I wonder how this project will iteratively complete, will they do building blocks by building blocks? I.E - 2-3 towers every few years with the commercial spaces allocated at grade opening as the towers complete?
My guess would be that this would be laid out in the phasing plan, no?

My guess would be that this would be laid out in the phasing plan, no?
That would be my guess, probably far too early still for any of this to materialize in that sort of plan. But given how others materialize, I think you're right - thanks!

Back