News   Apr 18, 2024
 720     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.8K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

We need to work our way through all the white slave-holders before we get to the non-white ones, of course!

We need to work our way through all the white slave-holders before we get to the non-white ones, of course!
There were black slave-traders and black slave-owners. See link.

...William Ellison was African American, born into slavery in April of 1790 with the name April Ellison to a slave mother and white slavemaster father, Mr. William Ellison. As a young man he was apprenticed to a cotton gin maker rather than working in the fields and allowed to keep a portion of the wages he earned for his master and father, money that he later used to purchase his freedom. At the same time, he changed his name to William Ellison, after his father, to fit in with higher society. After purchasing his family, he moved to Sumter County, South Carolina and hired out other free African Americans to work in his cotton gin shop. While working, he discovered a common problem among freed slaves in the South. The expense of wages left him with a profit that would never compete with what slaveowners were earning. Wanting to move up in society, he purchased his first slaves in 1820.

By 1850, Ellison had 37 slaves while his sons owned another 16. He was one of about 180 black slave masters in South Carolina at the time, most of whom were former slaves themselves. Like Ellison, they realized that the only way to get out of the lower middle class that so many freed blacks were stuck in, was slave labor. With nearly 9,000 free blacks in South Carolina, that 180 made up a tiny percentage who were willing to do anything to compete with the upper class white slaveowners at the time. Just because they owned slaves though did not mean they were treated equally among slaveowners. As Ellison subtly hints in his letter, white slave owners would avoid interacting with African Americans as much as possible. Ellison provided many whites in the area with what were the best cotton gins available which meant that if they wanted to produce the most cotton, they would have to do business with them. They would often try to avoid paying him though. Despite the discrimination, blacks owning blacks continued all the way up to the Civil War, with many African American slave owners, including Ellison, contributing and supporting the Confederate side. Stories like Ellison’s and other black slave owners showed the economic power of slavery in Southern America in the nineteenth century. The easiest way to achieve financial and social success was to own slaves and the allure of southern wealth was enough that it convinced a few of slavery’s former victims to switch to the other side...

Countries That Still Have Slavery 2021

From link.

Today, 167 countries still have slavery, affecting about 46 million people. Although governments have taken steps and raised awareness about modern slavery, it is difficult to detect and recognize in many cases. It's important to know the signs of slavery so that authorities and organizations can be alerted.
While over a hundred countries still have slavery, six countries have significantly high numbers:
  1. India (18.4 million)
  2. China (3.4 million)
  3. Pakistan (2.1 million)
  4. Bangladesh (1.5 million)
  5. Uzbekistan (1.2 million)
  6. North Korea (1.1 million)
India has the highest number of slaves in the world at 18.4 million slaves. This number is higher than the Netherlands' population and is approximately 1.4% of India's entire population. All forms of modern slavery exist in India, including forced child labor, forced marriage, commercial sexual exploitation, bonded labor, and forced recruitment into non-state armed groups.

China has the second-highest number of slaves at 3.4 million, which is less than a quarter of India's. Other countries with significantly high slave populations are Russia, Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Indonesia, Egypt, Myanmar, Iran, Turkey, and Sudan.

^ good point we tend to forget this, reminds me of this meme
IMG_20210702_025628.jpg

And those who post memes like this care more about calling out hypocrisy than slavery at any point in time.

Casting aspersions on people's motives and making up your mind how they feel about things without evidence to support same doesn't work for me.

Judge people by what they achieve. (or clearly say for themselves, where their record does not betray them)

Achievement is measured in tangible results, not in boxes checked off.

Casting aspersions on people's motives and making up your mind how they feel about things without evidence to support same doesn't work for me.

Judge people by what they achieve. (or clearly say for themselves, where their record does not betray them)

Achievement is measured in tangible results, not in boxes checked off.
The meme casts equal aspersions.

The meme casts equal aspersions.

No, the meme states a provable fact.

An aspersion is an allegation unsupported by evidence.

There is lots of footage of people tearing down statues wearing clothes, with clearly identifiable brand labels, known to produce their goods, in the present, using slave labour.

Again, that's not an argument for retaining statues, its an argument about wildly incoherent, inconsistent logic.

Prioritizing actions which do not increase justice, fairness and equity over those that do.

Mr. Zang is very upset today because now he has to go in his closet and throw out half his clothes 🤣 🤣 🤣 "JUST DO IT" checkmark

Mr. Zang is very upset because now he has to go in his closet and throw out half his clothes 🤣 🤣 🤣
And that's the aspersion *I* was talking about.

So, exactly what are you doing about slavery in the modern world? Criticizing others is great and all and "owning the libs" as it were, but isn't it being just as much a "social justice warrior" as those you're mocking?

Zero intention towards doing anything about anything, but lots of intention towards criticizing others for it.

So, exactly what are you doing about slavery in the modern world?
I'm planning on renaming Dundas Street to Crocodile Dundee Ave. to stop modern day slavery , I've been told that should work. c'mon man get real and lighten up

then I'm gonna cheer on LeBron James and his Nike contract because he can't afford to lose his Nike contract by using his voice to stand up for the Uighurs in China

Last edited:
I'm planning on renaming Dundas Street to Crocodile Dundee Ave. to stop modern day slavery , I've been told that should work. c'mon man get real and lighten up

then I'm gonna cheer on LeBron James and his Nike contract because he can't afford to lose his Nike contract by using his voice to stand up for the Uighurs in China
More mocking.

Okay, so what are you *really* going to do? If you find it so important to mock people for faux-caring about slavery, it must be a very important subject for you. So, please, seriously give me an idea about what you personally are doing? All your clothes made in slavery-free countries? I assume you avoid any electronics with lithium or cobalt? Given your care, I suppose you're actually avoiding anything made in a US prison, too? That's pretty much slave labour as well.

Please comedian, tell me what *you* are doing?

More mocking.

Okay, so what are you *really* going to do? If you find it so important to mock people for faux-caring about slavery, it must be a very important subject for you. So, please, seriously give me an idea about what you personally are doing? All your clothes made in slavery-free countries? I assume you avoid any electronics with lithium or cobalt? Given your care, I suppose you're actually avoiding anything made in a US prison, too? That's pretty much slave labour as well.

Please comedian, tell me what *you* are doing?
I do my best using my dollar and I don't quickly judge people like you and I don't want to cancel everything and everyone that disagrees with me

Last edited:
I do my best using my dollar and I don't quickly judge people like you
But you did exactly that. Not just in the meme (which assumes that people fighting against generational traumas regarding slavery aren't aware of modern slavery), but in posting it (in a mocking way).

But you did exactly that. Not just in the meme (which assumes that people fighting against generational traumas regarding slavery aren't aware of modern slavery), but in posting it (in a mocking way).
u assumed that by posting a meme i don't care about slavery lol...

Back