Toronto Peter and Adelaide | 152.39m | 47s | Graywood | BBB

Jun 6, 2021

1068B756-0E67-4BED-871E-1EFCD07379D3_1_201_a.jpeg

2F2CAA74-D24F-481B-8C9D-B431BF2BC5CC_1_201_a.jpeg

ADBD672E-8A0C-43E4-A51C-4E02C1F2B0AA_1_201_a.jpeg

Lots of spandrel = nightmare.

Isn't it now a City requirement to have at least 60% spandrel on all new residential towers? Something like that, maybe 40%. I think you can thank the City for all the spandrel that you will be seeing in the future.

I understand the intent is to increase the energy efficiency of new construction towers.

Isn't it now a City requirement to have at least 60% spandrel on all new residential towers? Something like that, maybe 40%. I think you can thank the City for all the spandrel that you will be seeing in the future.
It's the Ontario Building Code, and the requirement is that the window-to-wall ratio be no more than 40%. The spandrel we complain about here is almost universally back-painted glass, and of course there's no requirement that the opaque parts of the wall be constructed that way -- it's just the easiest solution for cheap developers who care more about the bottom line than architectural quality.

It's the Ontario Building Code, and the requirement is that the window-to-wall ratio be no more than 40%. The spandrel we complain about here is almost universally back-painted glass, and of course there's no requirement that the opaque parts of the wall be constructed that way -- it's just the easiest solution for cheap developers who care more about the bottom line than architectural quality.
does this mean the facade of the building is mostly glass and not a lot of concrete wall ?

Perhaps the more practical/impactful change in this regard will come with the impending update to the Toronto Green Standards tiers. This is is a bit of an oversimplification, but effectively what is currently Tier 2 will become Tier 1, 3 will become 2, and so forth. Most of the window wall products that folks on here (myself included) dislike aesthetically is also generally not well performing from an envelope standpoint, so it's going to get pretty hard to do towers with window wall of that type/quality.

does this mean the facade of the building is mostly glass and not a lot of concrete wall ?
This building does appear to have a lot of spandrel (i.e., back-painted glass), yes. I can't find the full elevations, but here's a representative sample:
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 16.07.53.png

All the grey bits labelled "glazed insulated spandrel" are back-painted glass. So yes, lots of glass, less solid cladding.

Back