News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 533     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Assuming service were restored on this route, I do agree that there's a long gap between Huntsville and North Bay..........

However, Its a tough case to me that there's a compelling reason for a stop.

There really isn't a critical mass population centre.

Nor is there a singular tourist attraction.

Its certainly a lovely area if one is a nature lover............

But there's no Provincial or National Park nearby.

* Algonquin, depending on the exact spot is about 20km, 'as the crow flies'........but there are no campgrounds or major public access points nearby.

It strikes me that if the region wants to become a clear tourist draw (more likely that becoming a significant population centre in the near-term); they will need
a major entrance to Algonquin, accessible by road, with a full-service campground, day and overnight hiking trails, canoe/kayak rental etc.

Until then; delaying people on a very long trip, with another stop is a hard sell.

On the basis of potential tourism, yes, but in terms of connectivity for the residents, it (and Sundridge) are on par with Temagami and Matheson-Black River.

Assuming service were restored on this route, I do agree that there's a long gap between Huntsville and North Bay..........

However, Its a tough case to me that there's a compelling reason for a stop.

There really isn't a critical mass population centre.

Nor is there a singular tourist attraction.

Its certainly a lovely area if one is a nature lover............

But there's no Provincial or National Park nearby.

* Algonquin, depending on the exact spot is about 20km, 'as the crow flies'........but there are no campgrounds or major public access points nearby.

It strikes me that if the region wants to become a clear tourist draw (more likely that becoming a significant population centre in the near-term); they will need
a major entrance to Algonquin, accessible by road, with a full-service campground, day and overnight hiking trails, canoe/kayak rental etc.

Until then; delaying people on a very long trip, with another stop is a hard sell.

Probably the best tourist attraction in the Almaguin region (apart from the backwoods entrances to Algonquin Park) is Screaming Heads, near Burk's Falls. But that's not at all accessible from the railway.

On the basis of potential tourism, yes, but in terms of connectivity for the residents, it (and Sundridge) are on par with Temagami and Matheson-Black River.
I would have no issue with a flag/whistlestop in Sundridge so I can pop over to Copperhead distillery and load up on their great moonshine and rum...

I would have no issue with a flag/whistlestop in Sundridge so I can pop over to Copperhead distillery and load up on their great moonshine and rum...
Aw yes the...um...esstentials

Received today:

NEWS RELEASE

Ontario Northland Resumes All Bus Routes and Adds Two New Toronto Bus Stops

New stops will provide easy connections to rail, subway and regional transit

June 29, 2021
Ministry of Transportation

NORTH BAY ― Today, Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation, Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade and MPP for Nipissing, and Corina Moore, President and CEO of Ontario Northland Transportation Commission announced that Ontario Northland will be resuming all regularly scheduled motor coach routes and adding two new stops in Toronto effective July 4, 2021.

“As the province safely reopens, our government is providing more transit options for Ontarians,” said Minister Mulroney. “Ontario Northland resuming all regularly scheduled bus routes and adding two new stops in Toronto demonstrates that our government is on the right track as Ontario safely reopens.”

Bus passengers travelling to Toronto will now be able to stop at Toronto’s Union Station Bus Terminal and the King City GO station. These two new stops will provide easy connections to the GO train, subway and regional transit, and complement existing stops at four major hospitals in Toronto, the Highway 407 Terminal and Yorkdale.

“Improving transportation options for the people of Northern Ontario has always been a priority for our government,” said Minister Fedeli. “Today’s updates will ensure underserved Northern communities are connected and people have access to jobs and critical services.”

“We’re always looking for ways to enhance the customer experience for our passengers,” said Corina Moore, CEO of Ontario Northland. “A King City GO Station stop and a Union Station Bus Terminal stop provide passengers with options to easily connect to rail, subway and regional transit when accessing Toronto, a popular destination for many northerners traveling for tourism, education, work and medical appointments.”

Quick Facts
As of July 4, 2021, Ontario Northland will no longer be stopping at the Toronto Coach Terminal on Bay Street, which is closing on July 7.

Received today:
Does it make sense to stop at 407 and Yorkdale? I know that there was a lot of non GO activity at Yorkdale but do people connect to these other routes? Maybe those other routes could consolidate at 407? I'd imagine there would be faster travel times that way. That way the buses could go straight from 407 to Union.

Does it make sense to stop at 407 and Yorkdale? I know that there was a lot of non GO activity at Yorkdale but do people connect to these other routes? Maybe those other routes could consolidate at 407? I'd imagine there would be faster travel times that way. That way the buses could go straight from 407 to Union.
Is there space at King City? Are there good connections to other transit there?

Is there space at King City? Are there good connections to other transit there?
Last time I was there the station was an island to itself. There was high end housing far across the street (not exactly the demographics for transit). I thought it was an odd choice for a stop.

King City would only make sense for a weekday early AM arrival to connect to the train for a direct, higher speed connection right to downtown Toronto, and same with an afternoon peak. While it would mean a very early start in North Bay, it could work for occasional commuters from Muskoka and Orillia, or those with early morning appointments in Downtown Toronto. Without robust east-west transit connections (well, at least until Caledonia Station opens) the Barrie Line isn't very good at getting you anywhere else.

Back