News   Apr 19, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

On signage: AMA stated on Twitter than the signage has not been finalized yet. (why it hasn't when the opening was scheduled for this year, originally, is a worthwhile question.........but I digress)....

1622639310722.png

Also Steve Munro decided to ask Mx where the grass is, in the ROW.

This was the answer he was given:

1622639404461.png

from: https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/01/where-is-the-grass/

Sedum and Grass perform rather differently.

I don't understand why a decision hasn't been made yet, for what would be a very large order.

If they want to test performance of Sedum and/or different grasses in the ROW, test patches should be being installed now. (but last year would have been better); because you want to see how the stuff holds up
to both summer drought, and winter (frost, ice build up, salt, and spring melt conditions)

Also Steve Munro decided to ask Mx where the grass is, in the ROW.

This was the answer he was given:

View attachment 324516
from: https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/01/where-is-the-grass/

Sedum and Grass perform rather differently.

I don't understand why a decision hasn't been made yet, for what would be a very large order.

If they want to test performance of Sedum and/or different grasses in the ROW, test patches should be being installed now. (but last year would have been better); because you want to see how the stuff holds up
to both summer drought, and winter (frost, ice build up, salt, and spring melt conditions)
This is good to hear - sedum also looks very nice, this photo is from Le Mans, France.

unnamed.jpg

This is good to hear - sedum also looks very nice, this photo is from Le Mans, France.

View attachment 324550

It can; there are different kinds of sedum, of course!

Its been used here for the Green Roof on Victoria Park Station.

But that will have a different materials under it than in the ROW; and the roof won't be subject to any issues w/salt either.

I'm scratching my head to think if I've seen used at road level much in the GTA.

Here's VP Station:

1622653328166.png

Taken from: https://transittoronto.ca/photos/su...-park-station/victoria-park-station-1300.html

The above had me wondering about relative salt tolerance of otherwise appropriate species.

I found this very short blurb from a University Professor in Vermont which would have similar climate to Toronto:

Sedum did not rank in the top tier of tolerance; but in the next tier down.

Attachments

• 1622653983338.png
    1622653983338.png
    651.5 KB · Views: 102
Certainly doesn't help that from an untrained eye they look like the current streetcars to begin with
I think ppl are going to refer to it as the LRT.

Today I took the lrt from kennedy - I got on the LRT at science center. I really don't think ppl will call this a streetcar. At least not the general public, I think that only happens here because we're all transit enthusiast. People say take the RT from kennedy to STC. The same will happen here.

What I did notice from that short video is the speed of the LRT. Even in testing that looked like it was moving faster than what I was envisioning. Add some priority signaling and we may get speeds much faster than I thought

Is this not the public transit equivalent of a STROAD? Part is rapid, grade separated transit with associated station spacing, part is at grade with road crossings and close to street car station spacing. Even ignoring the difficulty of signaling priority, this already seems unworkable to achieve 30+ trains per hour each way already. Adding in needing to keep this and cars somewhat happy via signaling priority (which is partial snake oil as a concept and a CLEAR step down from grade separation) and you have a disaster. Then, we you realize the issue with most new train lines, even fully grade separated ones, and you really wonder how this awful compromise was chosen. This will be worse once the west extension is built and this central, at grade section will become the most hated piece of infrastructure in the city, hated by transit users and drivers alike - at least this unity makes it more likely to be fixed, eventually.

Is this not the public transit equivalent of a STROAD? Part is rapid, grade separated transit with associated station spacing, part is at grade with road crossings and close to street car station spacing. Even ignoring the difficulty of signaling priority, this already seems unworkable to achieve 30+ trains per hour each way already. Adding in needing to keep this and cars somewhat happy via signaling priority (which is partial snake oil as a concept and a CLEAR step down from grade separation) and you have a disaster. Then, we you realize the issue with most new train lines, even fully grade separated ones, and you really wonder how this awful compromise was chosen. This will be worse once the west extension is built and this central, at grade section will become the most hated piece of infrastructure in the city, hated by transit users and drivers alike - at least this unity makes it more likely to be fixed, eventually.
I am a transit rider and I see nothing wrong with a center lane lrt system. What was before were busses, I don't see how anyone is going to complain about not taking a bus and now having to take an LRT instead. The LRT is the better choice compared to the buses. Sure grade separated would've been better, but clearly that wasn't the most economical choice. Now I do agree that there are too many stops between birchmount and say pharmacy, but the anger definitely wont be as high as you are making it.

For the most part, everyone just wants this to be over with and will be happy when it is.

Back