News   Mar 28, 2024
 41     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I don't think elevation is as important as lateral separation.
Lateral is definitely more important. As someone that cycles on somewhat busy suburban roads, I'm always thinking of my bail-out route if something goes wrong. Without bike lanes, I ride 0.5m off the curb to force traffic to give me a wider berth. If someone is passing too close, I have some space to play with. With bike-lanes, cyclists still need the ability to swerve to avoid potholes or other unexpected events without feeling like they are instantly in the traffic.

Lateral is definitely more important. As someone that cycles on somewhat busy suburban roads, I'm always thinking of my bail-out route if something goes wrong. Without bike lanes, I ride 0.5m off the curb to force traffic to give me a wider berth. If someone is passing too close, I have some space to play with. With bike-lanes, cyclists still need the ability to swerve to avoid potholes or other unexpected events without feeling like they are instantly in the traffic.
I usually take the lane. I am not comfortable encouraging cars to 'squeeze' by me in the same lane. Especially when you're riding by parked cars and at risk for getting doored or having a pedestrian pop out. I don't mind bike lanes on 2 lane 40 kph distributor streets in my area, but 60 kph is too fast to just have some paint protecting you from a distracted driver liking instagram posts.

From Councillor Bradford's newsletter...........upgrades to the Crescent Town Road bike lanes begin Sunday night:

1621036380067.png

As noted above, concrete curbs will be coming in many spots as well; though that's not well reflected in the render.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand that image. Are they eliminating the bike lane on the west side? Otherwise I don't see how the vehicle lanes will work. And it is a multi-use path? It has pedestrian markings, even though there is a sidewalk on the other side of the street?

Other than that, I like that it is bidirectional, if we can't spare enough width in protected bike lanes for passing.

Actually, this new trail on lower Bayview Avenue is already so popular. I’m assuming residents of Corktown Common didn’t appreciate high volume of traffic and actual car races going around their neighbourhood. Yes, it is very bad. By closing the northbound lane to cars might mitigate that issue.
Under those circumstances I don’t see that this trail will be ripped out. I’m accepting bets!

Mississauga is proposing a 4-to-3 lane road diet and adding protected cycle lanes on Acquitane between Tenth Line and Millcreek Dr. Public consultation May 27th. I was amused by the traffic study showing that 85th percentile speed was 24kph higher than the speed limit of 50 kph. You don't say... Design a road like a highway and people treat it as such.

Materials:
Well, duh. Highway-style roads have higher "true usage" speeds. Are they being ignorant?

I really like that proposal. They are adding more crossings, separated bike lanes, slowing speeds down, and I think that will make the road better for everyone (except speeding drivers). I would like to note two things:
  1. I know that the road might not be wide enough, but I would like to see bus lanes, to facilitate extending routes from the Meadowvale Town Center, where many bus routes meet, to the Meadowvale GO station.
  2. Eliminate the center turning lane. I know that it's useful to not obstruct traffic, but there's an alternate route if you actually need to move in a hurry.
Feel free to debate me on this. 😁

Well, duh. Highway-style roads have higher "true usage" speeds. Are they being ignorant?

I really like that proposal. They are adding more crossings, separated bike lanes, slowing speeds down, and I think that will make the road better for everyone (except speeding drivers). I would like to note two things:
  1. I know that the road might not be wide enough, but I would like to see bus lanes, to facilitate extending routes from the Meadowvale Town Center, where many bus routes meet, to the Meadowvale GO station.
  2. Eliminate the center turning lane. I know that it's useful to not obstruct traffic, but there's an alternate route if you actually need to move in a hurry.
Feel free to debate me on this. 😁
Adding center turning lanes adds more distance for pedestrians, especially those in walkers. Making it more dangerous. Have seen motorists stopping and then making a left turn from the left lane and not the center lane.

Back