News   Apr 17, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Will the 60 new streetcars be a new and "improved" model of the "Flexity Outlook" or some other model from the Alstom catalog?
Probably stick with tyhe same design unless Alstrom really want to change something up but there most likey would have been an anoncemnt about that. Alos a new design would have to go through more testing just like the first two prototype streetcar did in 2017.
Will the new streetcars remain to be single-ended or go double-ended?
Highly unlikely for the legacy streetcar network as they would have to overhaul a lot of the operations of things and it would also nean less seating

Current Bombardier organization seemed very competent.

The pre-2017 managers - many of which were fired, less so. There delivery rate in 2018 and 2019 was very good - much higher than ever anticipated.
Sound like the same has happen to the Quebec plants as TTC is seeing faster turn around cars that are having welds fix.

Then, why are 2 TTC streetcars still in Thunder Bay Over a year later after they were supposed to been return and off TTC property 900 day?

As for the new 60 cars, there maybe a few changes depending on Alstom supply chain as well things TTC want change.

This is what TTC needs <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSroZU1Hnc8>

Last edited:
As for the new 60 cars, there maybe a few changes depending on Alstom supply chain as well things TTC want change.
Agreed - I suspect it will be along the same lines as the second batch of E-Class (Flexity Swift) trams in Melbourne - minor changes and improvements to the original model.
Who knows - maybe the cushion in the driving cab wears too easily, or it's really hard to replace a particular light fitting. Fixing stuff like that.

Dramatic re-engineering or redesigning is off the table.

Perhaps on the Eglinton Crosstown, but on the streetcar system? I just dont think it would work.

My hope with Eglinton is once the 3 car trains hit capacity, they can be moved to other LRT lines or retired, and a tram like this that is one tram from end to end of the platform can be tendered. Because you gain a lot of room by not having the empty space between cars.

Perhaps on the Eglinton Crosstown, but on the streetcar system? I just dont think it would work.

My hope with Eglinton is once the 3 car trains hit capacity, they can be moved to other LRT lines or retired, and a tram like this that is one tram from end to end of the platform can be tendered. Because you gain a lot of room by not having the empty space between cars.
Agreed - I don't think these two would fit in the streets, fouling intersections and loops!
Budapest tram by CAF, 56m long & Sydney tram by Alstom, 67m long.

The loops were designed for a Peter Witt & trailer. Turns out, a loop would fit two PCC streetcars, two CLRV's, or one Flexity Outlook. That's why they have to redesign the loops (AKA enlarge) if they need to fit in two Flexity Outlook streetcars.
I guess similar to Boston's Type 10 "supercar" procurement - they're basically going to order the longest low floor vehicle they can physically fit on their infrastructure.
(they can now order low floor, as the Green Line Extension removes a 42ft/12.8m radius curve)

The loops were designed for a Peter Witt & trailer. Turns out, a loop would fit two PCC streetcars, two CLRV's, or one Flexity Outlook. That's why they have to redesign the loops (AKA enlarge) if they need to fit in two Flexity Outlook streetcars.
That is why it time to go to duel ends and remove all loops as well add crossovers along routes. I can hear the bitching on lost seats, but you don't hear it from systems world wide including NA about it. You got buses with doors on both sides in NA with lost seats and no complaints about it.

Was joking on using 56m trams in Toronto to see what the reaction would be, but need to move 35m for the next fleet.

I don't see that happening with a small order of only 60 cars. Maybe in 20 years when we order the next replacement bit even then I wouldn't hold my breath over it.
Actually, 60 streetcars by itself is large. Washington D.C.'s streetcar fleet is six (that's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6).

ION (Waterloo) has a light rail vehicle fleet of 14, with an option to buy 16 more.

Not for a system that already has 204 cars built for an existing system. I don't expect them to completely rebuild the whole system for 60 cars.
They'll be rebuilding the Hillcrest Facility to become a car yard for some routes (IE. 512 and maybe 511).

They'll be rebuilding the Hillcrest Facility to become a car yard for some routes (IE. 512 and maybe 511).
Yes but that doesn't mean that they are going to get double ended streetcars and install double crossovers and get rid of the loops.

Hillcrest is going to be rebuilt because they don't have space in the existing Yards for anymore then we already have.

Back