Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Routine discharge from Pickering is not an issue.

However, there have been some heavy water discharges; meaningful fish kills; it's not a common thing.............but it does happen from time to time. Risk to humans is normally quite low.

Nuclear Safety Commission Transcript:

Link: https://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/the-commission/pdf/2013-05-29-Transcription-Hearing-e.pdf

Excerpt:

View attachment 316229

I think the fish kill has more to do with thermal pollution, nothing radioactive:

Not entirely free of environment impact but the nature of it isn't hazardous per se.

AoD

I think the fish kill has more to do with thermal pollution, nothing radioactive:

Not entirely free of environment impact but the nature of it isn't hazardous per se.

AoD

The levels of tritium in leaked water have generally been quite low.

I would concur that there is not a high level of environmental harm, on a routine basis.

Where Pickering is concerned, my principle ecological complaint would be that we built the thing (and other reactors) without ever figuring out where we would dispose of the waste; nor did
we consider the cost of building or maintaining said facility in calculating the cost of power. I see that as problematic.

But perhaps we should return this thread to its topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit disappointing the arch/trusses only span what looks to be about half the bridge.
I actually appreciate that the pedestrian/cycling portion of the bridge is cantilevered out from the main span because it gives better views out to the water. I'm guessing that this was the intention.

I actually appreciate that the pedestrian/cycling portion of the bridge is cantilevered out from the main span because it gives better views out to the water. I'm guessing that this was the intention.
True, but I wonder what they’ll do for a railing system here. It could either make it or break it. Anyone have any thoughts?

True, but I wonder what they’ll do for a railing system here. It could either make it or break it. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think I've posted those details some pages ago and I think drum (or someone?) posted images of an updated slidedeck with more details. Will try and see if I can find it.

EDIT - my original post - the link to the slidedeck has details of the balustrade.

AoD

Last edited:
I think I've posted those details some pages ago and I think drum (or someone?) posted images of an updated slidedeck with more details. Will try and see if I can find it.

EDIT - my original post - the link to the slidedeck has details of the balustrade.

AoD
Thanks for the link AoD. I don’t remember seeing that doc, but wow that actually looks great! I can’t wait until this project is far enough along to be able to spend time there

Thanks for the link AoD. I don’t remember seeing that doc, but wow that actually looks great! I can’t wait until this project is far enough along to be able to spend time there

Don't take it as the final word though - it's a relatively old document and the details might have changed since then.

AoD

Seems like the Lois M. is the tug pulling the bridge barge to Toronto.
It left the Cherubini Metal Works yard area in Halifax at about 15:30 today and is currently expected in Toronto on Sunday at 08:00. Not sure how accurate that estimate is.
It's the same tug (Lois M) that brought the Cherry St. bridge last year, as you can see from it's picture on the tracking link below.

Edited to add:

Hmm, this site seems to be showing more timely tracking with an ETA of May 12.

Last edited:

Back