Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

A few from today.
The river valley from Cherry St.
PXL_20210424_203511470.jpg

The ramp up to the future south Cherry St. Bridge.
PXL_20210424_203638999.jpg

Some sort of tunneling launch shaft? Up by Cherry St. and the Gardiner.
PXL_20210424_205322019.jpg

Maybe some tunnel wall segments by the old fire hall on Commissioners.
PXL_20210424_202644265.jpg

PXL_20210424_202639827.jpg

The tunnel launch shaft is for the Coxwell combined sewer bypass project - an unrelated but still very important project to eliminate sewage spills into the lake.
Ah. I didn't know that project went this far west. Thanks!
Anyway, it's smack dab in the middle of the new alignment of Cherry leading to the new bridge from the Cherry/Lake Shore/Gardiner nexus. So they need to finish it before that can open.

Yeah, there's quite a lot involved to prevent whatever you flushed away in the morning isn't waving at you when want to take an afternoon dip in the lake... /eww :(

To be fair, I would not take a swim in the lake if my life depended on it. At least not along the GTA Shoreline with 2 nuke plants, industrial and everything else I would expect to glow green suffering from Ebola when I leave.

The only place I would swim near here is Simcoe, Erie or Superior.

To be fair, I would not take a swim in the lake if my life depended on it. At least not along the GTA Shoreline with 2 nuke plants, industrial and everything else I would expect to glow green suffering from Ebola when I leave.

Lake Ontario probably doesn’t have the best public perception when it comes to water quality but in reality the beaches in the city are mostly blue flag beaches. The water being tested every day in the summer.

Yet many do. So I am glad they are taking many steps to making our water cleaner and safer. This project and others are demonstrative of this.

The water quality in most of Lake Ontario is great. The only real problem areas are near the mouths of the Don and Humber. Especially after a heavy rainfall. But go out to somewhere like Sandbanks or Presquile and there is no concern about water quality at all.

Funnily enough, last summer I was just about to go for a dip at Sandbanks, so popped open Lake Ontario Waterkeeper's SwimGuide app just to double check the conditions. When I opened the app, it still had Toronto as my location tag, where I noticed that all but a few of the GTA area beaches were green flags that day; when I changed the tag to Sandbanks, it was yellow and a few in the area were red.

^I believe the Pickering power plant discharge is not a hazard. My friend works there as an engineer and he's got no concerns about it. It's treated well. Ecoli is the greater concern.

Routine discharge from Pickering is not an issue.

However, there have been some heavy water discharges; meaningful fish kills; it's not a common thing.............but it does happen from time to time. Risk to humans is normally quite low.

Nuclear Safety Commission Transcript:

Link: https://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/the-commission/pdf/2013-05-29-Transcription-Hearing-e.pdf

Excerpt:

1619819249634.png

Back