Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

I was hoping for the return of The Worlds Biggest Bookstore...
I'd love that too, but unfortunately that's unlikely given how the likes of Indigo have been struggling. Even pre-COVID, they were staying afloat by selling items like gifts and novelties. If I'm not mistaken, they also owned The World's Biggest Bookstore during the final years. There's a bookstore (BMV I think) next to Panda that's been around since TWBB days.

I'd love that too, but unfortunately that's unlikely given how the likes of Indigo have been struggling. Even pre-COVID, they were staying afloat by selling items like gifts and novelties.

Indigo's numbers aren't terrible; they aren't great; but pre-covid they were on a decent financial path, I think.

The in-store numbers on the newer format stores have been encouraging, to my understanding, hence why the program continues to be rolled out.

WBB's problem was simply the real estate value.

If I'm not mistaken, they also owned The World's Biggest Bookstore during the final years. There's a bookstore (BMV I think) next to Panda that's been around since TWBB days.

In essence, they always did.

WBB was founded by the Coles who owned Cole's Books.

Cole's was merged with W.H. Smith in Canada to form Chapters

Chapters was merged into Indigo

WBB remained a part of Indigo through its demise.

The Cole family retained ownership of the WBB building, even after exiting the bookstore business; and later sold it.

Indigo was not the owner of the building, to my knowledge.

Last edited:
img_7209-jpg.311811
IMG_7211.JPG
IMG_7214.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7209.JPG
    IMG_7209.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,727
That last one is a great shot of Panda; but boy, on a dreary day...........the combined effect of that parking garage and Jorgenson Hall...............leaves Gould feeling a tad depressing.

The ugly streetlights don't help either!
The new pedestrian mall at Ryerson (Gould St) is a huge improvement over previous versions (remember the tacky painted version?). All it needs now are returning students to animate the mall.

The new pedestrian mall at Ryerson (Gould St) is a huge improvement over previous versions (remember the tacky painted version?). All it needs now are returning students to animate the mall.

And the removal of the ugly streetlights!

Back