Toronto Downtown Data Centre | 38.5m | 4s | Equinix Inc | WZMH

Well as it turns out, there was a resubmission on March 12th. Design has been updated. Here are some renderings:

PLN - Architectural Plans (1 of 3) - MAR 12  2021.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans (3 of 3) - MAR 12  2021.jpg

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - MAR 22  2021 2.jpg

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - MAR 22  2021 3.jpg

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - MAR 22  2021.jpg

Source: Application Information Centre

Agreed. I still don't get why the city isnt asking for at least one CRU in here. Even just a small space for a cafe would add something.
They probably don't want people chilling at a cafe connected to their laptop practically inside a data centre.

These things are built with the "least number of potential points of failure" in mind, and adding other uses to the site, especially those that involve significant numbers of troublesome humans, is probably antithetical to the facility's sustainability plan.

Also it might go a bit underappreciated that this is an important piece of infrastructure. It is a utility building moreso than a commercial one.

They probably don't want people chilling at a cafe connected to their laptop practically inside a data centre.

These things are built with the "least number of potential points of failure" in mind, and adding other uses to the site, especially those that involve significant numbers of troublesome humans, is probably antithetical to the facility's sustainability plan.

Also it might go a bit underappreciated that this is an important piece of infrastructure. It is a utility building moreso than a commercial one.

I don't buy that excuse. It's literally across the street from a condo housing hundreds of people with more on the way, to be built even closer. The electrical infrastructure doesn't need to tie into the data centre's. It can be a completely self contained unit.

As if the 45-storey towers will happen now, given this context. Thank God.
I'm not sure it will happen exactly like the provincial government released last week, but there are certainly going to be a few pretty tall towers on the Staples site at the SW corner of King and Parliament. Kitty-corner to the copper bunker!

I don't buy that excuse. It's literally across the street from a condo housing hundreds of people with more on the way, to be built even closer. The electrical infrastructure doesn't need to tie into the data centre's. It can be a completely self contained unit.
Hahah what? Maybe if the data centre had its own nuclear reactor LOL.

However nicely this turns out (and I have my doubts) it is a travesty that this block is full of big windowless boxes.
I mean, what are you going to do? Proximity matters for low latency in facilities like this so they have to be close to the spots they serve. Hence, we get downtown data facilities.
As if the 45-storey towers will happen now, given this context. Thank God.
??
Agreed. I still don't get why the city isnt asking for at least one CRU in here. Even just a small space for a cafe would add something.
Security is of the utmost importance for these kinds of sites. Their security rivals most military bases and as @WislaHD rightly indicates, a cafe is a point of failure that no one needs. It's also an important, if invisible, point for insurers. Long story short, it ain't gonna happen, sorry to say.

I think it looks pretty neat. Kind of wish it would include some 80's style pink mirrored glass, but that's unlikely.

Back