News   Mar 28, 2024
 37     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 536     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 346     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Also from Twitter: (This fellow is a pharmacist in the Beaches area of Toronto)
From what little I've seen and heard about the pharmacies, I don't think the situation is that the pharmacists are sitting there idle while the vaccines are about to expire because not enough people over 55 (now 40) are registering. I think the problem is that each pharmacy, with only one pharmacist at a time, and a small waiting area, is not physically capable of getting a significantly large number of people vaccinated every day. People have been registering and then having to wait two or three weeks before being notified that an appointment is available. Apparently there usually seems to be two or three people there at a time sitting in distanced chairs waiting to receive the vaccine, or waiting the required 15 minutes afterwards. This sounds believable to me because it's what happens every year when I get a flu shot. I suppose it's better than nothing, but if each location can only get something like four people an hour, then there should be other more effective ways added to this in order to get these available AZ vaccines used more quickly.
... Instead, public health goes to the people, vaccinating from workplace to workplace...
Has there been some sort of resistance against vaccinating people at these type of workplaces?

Last edited:
From what little I've seen and heard about the pharmacies, I don't think the situation is that the pharmacists are sitting there idle while the vaccines are about to expire because not enough people over 55 (now 40) are registering. I think the problem is that the pharmacies might not be individually capable of getting a significantly large number of people vaccinated every day. People have been registering and then having to wait two or three weeks before being notified that an appointment is available. Apparently there usually seems to be two or three people there at a time sitting in distanced chairs waiting to receive the vaccine, or waiting the required 15 minutes afterwards. This sounds believable to me because it's what happens every year when I get a flu shot. I suppose it's better than nothing, but if each location can only get something like four people an hour, then there should be other more effective ways added to this in order to get these available AZ vaccines used more quickly.
As I mentioned upthread, I've heard of a number of people sitting on wait lists who end up just going to the pharmacy and getting a shot same day. The online systems seem to be the problem (Shoppers told a number of people that their booking system wasn't working for days)

As I mentioned upthread, I've heard of a number of people sitting on wait lists who end up just going to the pharmacy and getting a shot same day. The online systems seem to be the problem (Shoppers told a number of people that their booking system wasn't working for days)

To be fair, it is ludicrous to have so many competing registrations systems to start off with. The provincial government have a year to figure out the rollout of vaccines and this is what they come up with? A "system" (to put it charitably) of scattershot portals that may or may not work at any given time, with differing registration requirements that changes on the whim? Seriously who is responsible for this garbage?

AoD

Last edited:
Again the number of shots given has dropped during the weekend - only 66,897 in Ontario yesterday, with 950,000 doses still available. I just don't understand this trend. One would think many people would prefer the weekend, when they are off work.

People don't want the vaccines. Either for Religious convictions or they don't believe Covid is that bad or they think Bill Gates is injecting microchips into our bodies.

I'm all for vaccine passports, the more the virus persists, the more opportunity it has to mutate. Vaccine passports are good idea for this reason.

To be fair, it is ludicrous to have so many competing registrations systems to start off with. The provincial government have a year to figure out the rollout of vaccines and this is what they come up with? A "system" (to put it charity) of scattershot portals that may or may not work at any given time, with differing registration requirements that changes on the whim? Seriously who is responsible for this garbage?

AoD
And when it comes to the pharmacies, each company has its own system, just to add to the confusion.

People don't want the vaccines. Either for Religious convictions or they don't believe Covid is that bad or they think Bill Gates is injecting microchips into our bodies.

I'm all for vaccine passports, the more the virus persists, the more opportunity it has to mutate. Vaccine passports are good idea for this reason.
Except there are those who can't get any vaccine for legitimate health reasons. A lack of passport *will* guarantee discrimination against them, either consciously or unconsciously. There will be suspicion that they have a shady doctor who allowed them an exemption for heel spurs, or that they're outright lying about it. Some governments may refuse anyone without one, regardless of the reason.

The best we can do is vaccinate as many as possible, making a passport moot.

No kidding - and we know that going in. Why aren't they required to use a provincial system - which they are building from scratch - to start off with?

AoD
I'm just going to start saying "because Ford".

At this point, his arrogance, incompetence and ignorance is almost always to blame. It might as well be the default response, even lacking further extrapolation.

I'm just going to start saying "because Ford".

At this point, his arrogance, incompetence and ignorance is almost always to blame. It might as well be the default response, even lacking further extrapolation.

That's certainly the ultimate cause - but it is not sufficient as a post-mortem - we need to know who failed what, where and why.

AoD

People do have to show their Health card number at the pharmacies, and there does appear to be some kind of integration with a provincial system. You can request a print out before leaving the pharmacy, and/or have one emailed to you.

Covid_vaccine_record.JPG

Also, quite a significant percentage of people get noticeable side effects such as chills for a day or two after getting the vaccine, so don't get alarmed if that happens to you. On the bright side, I think it might be a sign that it's actually working like it's supposed to.

Last edited:
They emailed mine while I was still sitting there. The issue is that if you want to book, you check Rexall and see no appointments. So then you try Shoppers and no appointments. So then you try Costco. Inefficient and silly. People are putting themselves on multiple wait lists, then the age criteria changes and they go to a mass clinic to get Pfizer. They had literally months to prepare for this and could have implemented something more cohesive.

The current ad hoc implementation of vaccines almost looks to me as Queen’s Park washing their hands and saying it’s not their responsibility anymore; the onus is on the regional and municipality level.

Question, where are these so-called pop up mobile clinics that are run by community groups allocating their vaccines? Just a curiosity. This compounded by the fact that it’s almost impossible to know when, where and how to register for them.

They emailed mine while I was still sitting there. The issue is that if you want to book, you check Rexall and see no appointments. So then you try Shoppers and no appointments. So then you try Costco. Inefficient and silly. People are putting themselves on multiple wait lists, then the age criteria changes and they go to a mass clinic to get Pfizer. They had literally months to prepare for this and could have implemented something more cohesive.

It's not even just inefficient for the public; it is also inefficient and take up resources from the point of delivery - who now have to administer and maintain multiple competing wait-lists. It's insane.

AoD

The current ad hoc implementation of vaccines almost looks to me as Queen’s Park washing their hands and saying it’s not their responsibility anymore; the onus is on the regional and municipality level.

Question, where are these so-called pop up mobile clinics that are run by community groups allocating their vaccines? Just a curiosity. This compounded by the fact that it’s almost impossible to know when, where and how to register for them.

It's always been the case - they want others to own their failures. Except that they are the ones who come up with this scheme to off-load in the first place.

Agree with the problem with mobile clinics - it make sense that they tend to be targeted towards vulnerable communities, but is remarkably ad-hoc.

AoD

Also, quite a significant percentage of people get noticeable side effects such as chills for a day or two after getting the vaccine, so don't get alarmed if that happens to you. On the bright side, I think it might be a sign that it's actually working like it's supposed to.
It's an immune response, which is what you want to happen.

Generally, what we feel when we get sick (fever, chills, malaise, inflammation, etc.) is caused by our own bodies. It serves the body should treat a deactivated virus just like it should a real one.

Back