News   Apr 23, 2024
 66     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 829     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 285     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

To be fair for around the same money you can get the same items at Wal-mart.
I'm not sure your point here? Dollarama has plenty of downtown locations, whereas if you're living downtown you have to head out to Dufferin or up to Leaside to get to the nearest Walmart. Not a convenient shopping trip for someone who may be working two minimum-wage jobs, has kids and no car.

I dislike how they characterize the latest declaration as a 'stay at home order'. Any directive that uses the word "should" is not proscriptive, and even though it list a number of reasons we "should" only go out for, there is a laundry list of businesses that are permitted to be open for curbside service, so by implication I am permitted to attend said curb.

As an aside, the wife was talking to some medical staff at Sunnybrook prepping for some surgery her father has to have next week. One did some time at a clinic and told her a fellow presented himself as a person with a medical condition that made him vulnerable to Covid - psoriasis - and his wife was his medical caregiver (cream applier?). They have a list of recognized medical conditions that she showed him and asked if he was okay that, if he got a vaccine it might mean somebody on the list went without, he paused briefly and said 'yes', but his wife hedged. He got a vaccine because they are loath to turn anybody away. Good thing I'm not on the frontlines.

I was so disappointed in Ford yesterday. Once again repeating, "please, folks, just stay home". Because that has worked so well. Put on some travel restrictions, close more things. Shut it down or don't. The middle ground isn't working.

Sadly, there is a portion of M4W that runs south of Bloor, adjacent to M4Y (included in "high risk") that is not indicated on that map. I know because we live on the south side of Bloor and are M4W. We (living in a building with 400+ units) get lumped in with the Rosedale mansions. The next building south is M4Y (about 20 feet away), but is also apparently much riskier place to live than here?

Similar to the problems with the Steeles Avenue border between Toronto (grey) & York Region (red) and the colour codes with what stores were allowed to be open or closed because of COVID-19 restrictions.

ontario-colour-coded-map.jpg

From link (March 30, 2021).

At least with the first three postal codes, it is smaller. How much smaller should we go with the postal codes? First four postal codes? Five?

Last edited:
I dislike how they characterize the latest declaration as a 'stay at home order'. Any directive that uses the word "should" is not proscriptive, and even though it list a number of reasons we "should" only go out for, there is a laundry list of businesses that are permitted to be open for curbside service, so by implication I am permitted to attend said curb.

As an aside, the wife was talking to some medical staff at Sunnybrook prepping for some surgery her father has to have next week. One did some time at a clinic and told her a fellow presented himself as a person with a medical condition that made him vulnerable to Covid - psoriasis - and his wife was his medical caregiver (cream applier?). They have a list of recognized medical conditions that she showed him and asked if he was okay that, if he got a vaccine it might mean somebody on the list went without, he paused briefly and said 'yes', but his wife hedged. He got a vaccine because they are loath to turn anybody away. Good thing I'm not on the frontlines.

Psoriasis made someone vulnerable to COVID?? Huh? Geez, I am in an at risk group all along. Who'd knew!

I was so disappointed in Ford yesterday. Once again repeating, "please, folks, just stay home". Because that has worked so well. Put on some travel restrictions, close more things. Shut it down or don't. The middle ground isn't working.

I wasn't the slightest bit disappointed - his uselessness was apparent early on - and he will continue to weasel his way out whichever way he can. And when it is all over, you'd bet he'd be the first to show up and tout himself as the great vanquisher, like those stupid photoops of him at the airport watching the vaccines getting unloaded.

AoD

Last edited:
Paid. Sick. Days.

A friend who is under 50 just got vaccinated by a mobile clinic from Michael Garron Hospital. They are really on the ball. Scarborough and Durham are still doing people over 60 50.

Last edited:
Psoriasis made someone vulnerable to COVID?? Huh? Geez, I am in an at risk group all along. Who'd knew!

AoD

There ya go. Head right over. I suspect that, at the end of any clinic discussion, you would get a shot. You could simply say that you have one of the conditions on the 'approved list' (it must be online, everything is) and they will take you at face value. Besides the fact that there is no practical way to prove a medical condition, they don't need the potential grief. They don't want somebody to go on social media and say that they had acute dispoopsia and they couldn't get a vaccine.

Poor example using Dollarama. They're the "urban Walmart" for many people; in that it's one of the cheapest places for low-income earners without cars to buy food staples. Now, I agree no one needs to be allowed to get a cheap HDMI cable or shower curtain from Dollarama, but the middle class can't ignore their privilege. Bulk Barn too is a low-cost option for many foods. You'll not find produce in either store, but fresh produce is often a luxury for low-income communities.
Though I certainly like Bulk Barn I do not think it is (generally) a 'cheap option". It's great that one can buy a tiny amount of something there when a package at Loblaws would last one a decade but if you want standard quantities of most of what is in Bulk Barn you are almost always better going to a 'standard" store.

There should be a public health r/v and team at the door of every factory in the GTA to bring the rapid tests and vaccinations to the people. Anyone who tests positive stays home with pay, everyone else gets poked upon entry. How hard is this?

Meanwhile, https://vaccineto.ca says I can get vaccinated because I’m 50 and in M5A. But damn the website isn’t working or when it is, there are no appointments available. How about a system where I can register and the health authorities sends me whatever appointment is available. I’ll go anywhere, 24/7, why aren’t these clinics running around the clock?

I have a family member in a hot spot zone in Ottawa; they aren't able to register either. Frustrating!

Though I certainly like Bulk Barn I do not think it is (generally) a 'cheap option". It's great that one can buy a tiny amount of something there when a package at Loblaws would last one a decade but if you want standard quantities of most of what is in Bulk Barn you are almost always better going to a 'standard" store.
It depends. For staples, they seem a bit more expensive for the convenience of buying exactly what you need. For more esoteric ingredients/spices, they are often cheaper.

Poor example using Dollarama. They're the "urban Walmart" for many people; in that it's one of the cheapest places for low-income earners without cars to buy food staples. Now, I agree no one needs to be allowed to get a cheap HDMI cable or shower curtain from Dollarama, but the middle class can't ignore their privilege. Bulk Barn too is a low-cost option for many foods. You'll not find produce in either store, but fresh produce is often a luxury for low-income communities.
I don't know about Dollarama there. Maybe other locations carry a different selection, but my experience of "food staples" which would be bought by the poor for whom "fresh produce is a luxury" would include frozen food, or even refrigerated food (milk, eggs, butter), but I haven't been to a Dollarama that has either of those (refrigerators were only for soft drinks and energy drinks). My experience at the three I have been inside in Toronto had on offer only packaged shelf-stable food, and I really don't see much of a price difference in those items from the discount grocery stores like No Frills and Fresh Co. Indeed, they are often higher priced per quantity (and even at same quantity) as they sell items only in the smallest quantity possible. Giant Tiger would maybe be a better Wal-Mart comparison, but those I think are only out in small town Ontario these days.

Last edited:

Back