Toronto Pinewood Toronto Studios | 10m | 1s | Pinewood Group | HOK

What was the problem in turning the unused power-plant into sound stages? That this is probably 7-10 times the size of Filmport. I just don't get the necessity of this project? There were more than enough sound stages, and they seemed to be doing fine, then along came TEDCO and the Rose Corp. and decided they wanted to control everything. Instead of a lot of smaller players scattered throughout the area, which have far less of an ugly impact as well, we have one massive block of ugliness.

I never was a huge fan, but I think I have finally made up my mind and think this is a sham of project. It does nothing for the area except fill in where there wasn't something before. Also, it is ugly and has next to no curb appeal.

p5

What was the problem in turning the unused power-plant into sound stages?

A competitor has secured the lease to convert the Hearn into sound stages. Whether they get built or not is beside the point. Demolition is progressing slowly though.

I think it makes an adequate buffer between the industrialized east port lands and the future mixed use west port lands

maestro,

When you say demolition is progressing slowly, do you mean on the interior of Hearn? Would you happen to have any more information on what's going on with that building, and the people looking to operate it? It seems to have dropped of the radar.

When you say demolition is progressing slowly, do you mean on the interior of Hearn? Would you happen to have any more information on what's going on with that building, and the people looking to operate it? It seems to have dropped of the radar.

Just observations while biking in the area. They've been hauling the inner workings out of the place for the past few years and have dismanted quite a bit of the exterior workings as well. The stack is now independant of the Hearn building

this area does look a lot like the old portlands redux - a spiffier version, but with all the big block industrial-office-warehouse scale intact. Not the sort of ambiance, density or area for a hot spot of excitement - or even neighbourhood charm.

This part of the portlands was never to be residential or commercial, but was always envisaged to be something along the lines of a film studio. Areas of the portlands closer to the city and with more access to water are to become more residential with possible charm. I hope this facility brings some life to the area, nonetheless, but we will have to see how it works when it's up and going.

Not the sort of ambiance, density or area for a hot spot of excitement - or even neighbourhood charm.

Considering the area is basically empty right now what do you expect. This is a great first step.

I thought it was the Pinewood people who optioned Hearn, and then headed west to Sterling Rd. instead?
That is correct. Hearn is occasionally used as a filming location, but nobody is seriously looking at turning it into a full-blown studio at this time.

Here's a pic of FilmPort (including North America's largest sound stage) from the roof of The Richmond today...

DSCN5078.jpg

Considering the area is basically empty right now what do you expect. This is a great first step.

Yea, but it's a slippery slope...today a sprawling film complex...tomorrow big box stores.

Considering some the people/agencies involved, there's reason for concern. Eating up big chunks of this once-in-a-lifetime redevelopment area with all this kind of non-interesting stuff before much else is dangerous if you ask me.

There's a whole lot of self-interest going on here, and some of them don't give a rat's ass about "world class" waterfront design...it's all about the bottom line.

Hearn's basic structural design is both attractive and monumental...I always hoped for some kind of heroic adaptive re-use along the lines of what the Tate did with the old Bankside Power Station.

I would say the movie studios in LA are pretty damn interesting. Look what they've turned into! This could turn into something just like that eventually.

Office buildings could also be considered non-interesting, but I believe that having employment in the area is beneficial. Also, if the Alsop gets built, it will make the area more interesting visually. The current buildings are not ugly, but they are not something I would walk out of my way to see.

If you stroll along Commissioners, I think you'd agree that the film studio buildings are likely to be an enlivening addition. I'm not aware of any immediate plans to kill all of the industrial uses along Commissioners and turn it into anything radically different. It's Cherry that ought to become more interesting. If FilmPort fronted Cherry, I would have more concern about it.

Office buildings could also be considered non-interesting

Office buildings are an interactive part of the public realm, and usually mixed in with other "interesting" uses...retail, entertainment, institutional, cultural and residential.

Large film lots, industrial, large scale utility complexes and the like are all off-limits, visually unattractive spaces, and do not contribute to the public realm. Yes, they are also necessary things, but are inappropriate uses for this area considering the scale.

Instead of seeing more of the "Venice by the lake", we are seeing "Sarnia by the lake".

At least the area already shares Venice's smell.

I don see benefit in keeping some remnant of an industrial port in some obscure corner of the central waterfront. The flim studio complex acts as a prefect buffer with its industrial useage abutting the industrialized eastern portlands and commercial/retail useage abutting the planned communities to the west.

Back