Toronto Pearl Place | 121m | 34s | Conservatory Group | Richmond Architects

Yesterday

FFA29F34-6690-47FF-92B2-C747B8F1458E.jpeg

Reactions: PMT
Hello,
Does any one know what retailers will be renting there after the construction is done? Please share.
You won't hear about specific retailers here for years as retailers do not typically secure spaces until shortly before buildings like this are about to open, unless a major grocery chain (and there won't be one here) has a multi-thousand square foot space designed into the building for them.

You won't hear about specific retailers here for years as retailers do not typically secure spaces until shortly before buildings like this are about to open, unless a major grocery chain (and there won't be one here) has a multi-thousand square foot space designed into the building for them.

During the 2014 Community Consultation and OMB - the 29,000 square feet retail space was destined to be a "Green Grocer",... rumoured to be an "Urban-Sobey". Note: Regular size supermarkets are about 50,000-60,000 square feet; around 30,000 square feet are Urban-Supermarkets
- Already Loblaws to the north at EmpressWalk which was recently joined by a relocated and larger Shoppers Drug Mart with food market.
- WholeFoodsMarket opened Fall 2014 at TridelHullmarkCentre (southeast corner of Yonge & Sheppard) and Longos opened 2 years ago at YongeSheppardCentre (southeast corner of Yonge & Sheppard),.... and the Metro space at 2nd floor of EmeraldPark has remain vacant since they shell was completed almost 6 years ago (rejected originally by Chinese T&T, then by new upscale Metro, Persian Adonis,... then another Chinese supermarket)
Is that "Green Grocer" (rumoured to be Urban Sobey) still coming??? The area seem over-saturated with these traditional Canadian supermarkets in that none of them are ever packed with customers ---- an ethnic supermarket that would better serve the local 25% Chinese, 15% Persian or 12% Korean demographic would be nice.
I know T&T has been interested in the area,... but they'll have many options with larger retail space like Aoyuan's M2M, Concord-Adex Park Place coming on-line soon,... and maybe Times Group 5800 Yonge (originally had supermarket mall podium but not in latest submission),... then there's all those new 905 submission along north side of Steeles west of Yonge

I saw them put up the third crane. Having three cranes on a site like this...is that normal? They operate with their arms near vertical because they're so close!

I saw them put up the third crane. Having three cranes on a site like this...is that normal? They operate with their arms near vertical because they're so close!
There is no "normal" as every site has different specs. This one is quite long and narrow, so they've determined that to cover the site properly, they need cranes near the north and south ends ,and one in the middle. You'll see tower cranes with fixed horizontal jibs, and hinged luffing jibs, like the three here. I'm not sure why they choose one style over another at any particular job site, it would be great if a UT member who works in the field could comment. @whatever - might you know?

I kinda figure it's because there's numerous buildings nearby - so they need the crane arm to be at higher almost vertical angle; this means a smaller radius is covered by each crane - hence the need for more crane to cover the entire area. That said, they could have gotten away with 2 cranes; the third (middle one) is likely there to help speed things up since they have such a large floor base.

I kinda figure it's because there's numerous buildings nearby - so they need the crane arm to be at higher almost vertical angle; this means a smaller radius is covered by each crane - hence the need for more crane to cover the entire area. That said, they could have gotten away with 2 cranes; the third (middle one) is likely there to help speed things up since they have such a large floor base.
You can't hoist as much out near the end of the jib as you can closer to the mast, whether you're talking luffing crane or not, so even if cranes at the end of the long site might have reached to the centre of it, their hoisting capacity at the centre would be restricted.

Does anyone have a plan of the ground floor? I have a place in the area and would like to see how the retail is laid out. I looked on the Toronto Development application map and there is no documents for this building.

Does anyone have a plan of the ground floor? I have a place in the area and would like to see how the retail is laid out. I looked on the Toronto Development application map and there is no documents for this building.
The Toronto Development Application submitted Architectural Plans would have been from 10 years ago! I recall seeing it and all the ground floor retail space was at that time one large chunk just under 30,000sqft - perfect for an urban grocer.
- The 2015 OMB hearing refers to an un-named green-grocer supermarket with pharmacy (rumoured to be Sobey's)
- in 2017, sales office hinted selling off the entire retail space - in which case they would gain the most per sqft by subdividing into as small units as possible - thus, here come more Bubble Tea Shops, Cell Phone Stores and Asian Noddle Places! Some of the post of building model show main supermarket door concept while other shows many small retail doors concept
- Today's news of Sobey's parent company Empire buying Longo's make it almost impossible for a Sobeys to open here with a 2 year old Longo's at nearby RioCan Yonge-Sheppard Centre. This in addition to a 5.5 year old WholeFoodsMarket at HullmarkCenter and empty standard size supermarket space at EmeraldPark. Thus, really an over-supply of supermarket space locally and many are never very busy since they cater to general non-ethnic segment of marketplace.

Of course, if an Chinese supermarket were to step up to serve the 25% Chinese demographic in the area,... the issue would be on-site parking since ethnic supermarkets would need to draw customers from larger catchment area.

Anyway,... at this point best way to see ground floor layout would be to wait 6 months or so for them to reach ground level and see how they pour the retail walls and set up retail doorways.

Back