Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

News release for First Negotiations Proponent is out. Looks like IO really wants people to know these projects are moving forward as typically they wait until Preferred Proponent.

Aecon/Dragados built the current Crosstown tunnels (portion from Yonge eastwards) and is also involved in the Finch West LRT.

Last edited:
What are the chances they have financial close before the presentation? Wouldn't that be something.
Well, a financial close is expected to occur in the Spring. We'll still be in the Winter season when the presentation occurs. So unless Metrolinx completely surprises us, I highly doubt it.

Well, a financial close is expected to occur in the Spring. We'll still be in the Winter season when the presentation occurs. So unless Metrolinx completely surprises us, I highly doubt it.
Totally agree with you. Looking forward to see the IO Q4 report which comes out any time now.

What about the plan to convert the line to RER standards? This would involve the use of the same GO EMU's likely to be used across the GO Network. The EMUs can operate on the rest of the GO Network.

Well I see the UP being last to be converted, it would require station mods most likely and the trains are still quite new (but they are bad). If they wait as long as possible its probably best - though I'd love to see new trains as much as the next person - just hopefully less ugly ones.

2 Things.

1. 2031 seems to be the new opening date.
2. Metrolinx anticipates ordering the same Flexity Freedom vehicles for the extension.

Timestamps
Opening Date: 41:20
Flexity Vehicles: 1:20:15

Last edited:
2 Things.

1. 2031 seems to be the new opening date.
2. Metrolinx anticipates ordering the same Flexity Freedom vehicles for the extension.

Timestamps
Opening Date: 41:20
Flexity Vehicles: 1:20:15

2. I would hope they will buy the 7 module Flexities.

1615997394552.png

2. I would hope they will buy the 7 module Flexities.

View attachment 306279
Unfortunately that might cause problems, all because of these things: This picture is taken from the O-Train in Ottawa, but afaik they will also be present on Eglinton. Because these LRVs are quite round ended and take up a bit of space along with the couplers, they need to install these yellow pylons on the edge of the platform to prevent people from falling in between the trains. This becomes a problem when you have to start running LRVs with different sized trains. Sure you can have an excess amount of pylons to cover more potential holes, or remove them altogether, but that risks covering doors or becoming a major tripping hazard, and I don't think Metrolinx wants to be liable for people getting caught between trains.

Unfortunately that might cause problems, all because of these things: This picture is taken from the O-Train in Ottawa, but afaik they will also be present on Eglinton. Because these LRVs are quite round ended and take up a bit of space along with the couplers, they need to install these yellow pylons on the edge of the platform to prevent people from falling in between the trains. This becomes a problem when you have to start running LRVs with different sized trains. Sure you can have an excess amount of pylons to cover more potential holes, or remove them altogether, but that risks covering doors or becoming a major tripping hazard, and I don't think Metrolinx wants to be liable for people getting caught between trains.

Can't they just retrofit the trains with "fences" between the cars' as is done with the T1?

Back