News   Apr 18, 2024
 683     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

At the very least the ROW should be protected.
It will most likely be protected regardless of any decision that gets made. The Ministry of Energy is planning to colocate a future transmission corridor within the GTA West ROW, so there is additional governmental interest in protecting this area for future infrastructure.

We're not that far away from fully electric vehicle fleets (10-20 year horizons). That's within the horizon of building this highway (5-10 years).
Electric or not, the number of trucks on area roads is going up, and as industrial land becomes scarcer and more expensive in the 416 and immediately surrounding areas the number of warehouses/work yards/manufacturing etc. in areas like those just beyond where this highway is to go is going to increase greatly (for example, look at where Amazon has built and is building GTA distribution centres lately). These trucks are all going to be on municipal roads in that region without the highway. Congestion will increase. Costs will increase due to transit times for basically everything. This stuff cascades.

It all just wreaks of a "we'll regret not having done this in 20 years" scenario.

The problem is the province will no doubt want to have a six-lane highway here eventually. That's why I'm against the highway. There are other ways to get industrial traffic moving faster.

Also this isn't the only place where industrial growth is happening? A fair bit is being designated along existing 400-series corridors, like in Halton Hills, Simcoe County, and I imagine Durham as well. There's also a lot of existing industrial zones that have plenty of vacant parcels for development.

It's well documented in commercial sectors that there is a crazy shortage of industrial space right now, and tenants are looking further and further afield for space. Tenants that historically would have operated out of Mississauga or Vaughan are looking at Cambridge and Bradford now.

Well if you make development policies too restrictive, and the transportation network too inefficient, prospective companies will look elsewhere. Warehousing, manufacturing and logistic industries need a lot of land and adequate access to highways, rail lines, ports, airports, etc.

You need to walk a fine line, and it's hard when your competing cities make things more attractive for certain types of development. London's been prepping a lot of land for industrial use near the 401, and advertising quick highway access as a plus. We've been successful in attracting investment that may have gone elsewhere.

I went to Brampton this morning and took bramalea road and the amount of land for sale is crazy, not just the for sale signs but also signs that show a development company's name on it.

I saw what I think are land surveyors around the proposed interchange on bramalea as well.

Why is this development occurring in Cambridge and Bradford a bad thing again? These "further afield" settlements also need employment so people can work closer to home, and the infrastructure also may either already exist (Cambridge) or be planned to accommodate future intensification of existing residential zones (Bradford). The only place this is true in the GTA West Corridor is Bolton.

Instead of trying to force more industrial development around the fringes of the Greenbelt, we ought to see how we can better use existing land. (Maybe 60-year-old office buildings with sprawling parking lots isn't the best thing to have right next to the 404...)

Back