Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^ I'm not surprised some in Brampton want it, given there's a tunnel coming for Eglinton West and the SSE. One could argue, yeah but Brampton's different and doesn't have the Etobicoke/Scarborough local political clout with the Province/Feds to get it. True, but some in Brampton will still try to argue they deserve and and it's for reasons of fairness they should get it if it's coming to certain other areas. Not suggesting I agree with the tunnel. just want will likely be said in 2021 as the issue comes up a future Council meeting(s)/public meeting(s).
Tunnel is far from the only way of solving that problem. Make a pair of 1 lane, 1 way roads. I think northbound could go a block to the east (there is even another rail underpass). Adding a slight detour for cars is not at all a problem.

For clarity, put the LRT on the east side of Main between Wellington and Church, widen the sidewalks and reduce Main to 1 lane southbound only, with some sidewalk cut-outs for loading zones. Maybe pedestrianize this stretch altogether and eliminate curbs. For northbound traffic, direct it east on Wellington, and north on Chapel St. Rebuild Theatre Ln & Union St T-intersection to give priority to northbound traffic. Northbound lanes resume on Main north of Church St.

Yellow = southbound 1 lane general traffic
Green = LRT (buses can also use these lanes)
Red = northbound detour

Brampton.PNG

A tunnel here is ludicrous. Replace the on-street parking with an underground garage if needed.

Last edited:
Tunnel is far from the only way of solving that problem. Make a pair of 1 lane, 1 way roads. I think northbound could go a block to the east (there is even another rail underpass). Adding a slight detour for cars is not at all a problem.

For clarity, put the LRT on the east side of Main between Wellington and Church, widen the sidewalks and reduce Main to 1 lane southbound only, with some sidewalk cut-outs for loading zones. Maybe pedestrianize this stretch altogether and eliminate curbs. For northbound traffic, direct it east on Wellington, and north on Chapel St. Rebuild Theatre Ln & Union St T-intersection to give priority to northbound traffic. Northbound lanes resume on Main north of Church St.

Yellow = southbound 1 lane general traffic
Green = LRT (buses can also use these lanes)
Red = northbound detour

View attachment 303298

A tunnel here is ludicrous. Replace the on-street parking with an underground garage if needed.

Have you had a chance to look at the City's LRT Extension website? One of the surface options being studied is the "George Street Loop" option that is similar to the concept you've outlined above, except using George Street.

Have you had a chance to look at the City's LRT Extension website? One of the surface options being studied is the "George Street Loop" option that is similar to the concept you've outlined above, except using George Street.
No, this doesn't loop the LRT. It reduces car lanes and keeps the LRT on Main, moving car traffic to another street.

Latest deck on the Main LRT (aka City of Brampton's LRT Extension Study).

Video of the presentation and discussion during a Council workshop. Virtual public Open House 2: March 25th to April 15th.

Preferred surface option:

1615231306618.png

Preferred tunnel option:

1615231337064.png

The surface loop option has been dropped. The preferred tunnel option does not include an at-grade stop at Elgin, but does include an underground stop at Nanwood.

Summary:

1615231385641.png

A revised cost isn't provided but based on the May 2019 information with the various options, so some guesswork might be required based on the other options.

1615231261893.png

Latest deck on the Main LRT (aka City of Brampton's LRT Extension Study).

Video of the presentation and discussion during a Council workshop. Virtual public Open House 2: March 25th to April 15th.

Preferred surface option:

View attachment 304306

Preferred tunnel option:

View attachment 304307

The surface loop option has been dropped. The preferred tunnel option does not include an at-grade stop at Elgin, but does include an underground stop at Nanwood.

Summary:

View attachment 304308

A revised cost isn't provided but based on the May 2019 information with the various options, so some guesswork might be required based on the other options.

View attachment 304305
That mixed traffic option will be a disaster jesus

tenor.gif

Won't someone think about the poor automobile?

Someone should think about the poor LRT.

I don't know the local situation, maybe that short shared section of Main St never gets congested, and then the lane sharing is just fine.

But if it does get congested .. the autos often can bypass the congested segment easily, just make a couple of turns and take another street.

The LRT can't, it needs tracks. In the worst case scenario, a single congestion point can mess up the LRT schedule along the whole route. Not just the Brampton segment, but the Mississauga Hurontario as well.

tenor.gif

Won't someone think about the poor automobile?
I love how anytime someone raises a concern over LRTs, its always because they're "car users who don't want trams on their streets", and never about those riding the LRT. When I'm taking mass transit, the last thing I want is to A) Sit behind red lights, and B) Sit behind cars which are sitting behind lights. The whole point of Rapid Transit is that you shouldn't be tied to the same speed restrictions that the automobiles are, which is especially important when these are billion dollar infrastructure projects. Its almost like those who push for LRTs are more interested in pissing on car users than making transit actually better ;)

I mean the goal of this line isn't to have a crazy high capacity grade-separated line, it's to improve upon the existing bus service which it does. If the rest of the line was grade-separated the mixed traffic section would be a bigger deal but having the end of the line run a lil slower than the rest which is already slow isn't really gonna make that much of an impact I don't think

I mean the goal of this line isn't to have a crazy high capacity grade-separated line, it's to improve upon the existing bus service which it does. If the rest of the line was grade-separated the mixed traffic section would be a bigger deal but having the end of the line run a lil slower than the rest which is already slow isn't really gonna make that much of an impact I don't think
That's why I'm not too concerned with the lack of grade separation and more with the mixed traffic. If Toronto is anything to go by, placing streetcars in mixed traffic is an amazing way to create bunching and massive delays, and this is extremely problematic on a line that is expected to have 7 minute headways on opening day (granted you could always add more LRVs, but even then I'm not sure that'll fix the problem). The Hurontario LRT is a 4 billion dollar transit project, the same cost per km as the Canada Line in Vancouver. With that money, the least I should expect is its own ROW, even if it has to deal with intersections. Also if the goal is to only improve existing bus service, then we should've built a BRT and not an LRT.

Last edited:

Back