News   Mar 28, 2024
 48     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 153     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

For those who don't get Twitter previews here:

1613135814196.png

1613135830279.png

For more details: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...-birmingham-street-kipling-ave-to-dwight-ave/

Attachments

• 1613135794601.png
    1613135794601.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 156
Image from the above:

1613183092682.png

Description of changes to Esplanade:

The following changes are being proposed for The Esplanade:
  • A bi-directional cycle tracks would be added to the south side The Esplanade.
  • Safety enhancements would be added to all intersections, such as renewed pavement markings, prohibited vehicle turns, and signal timing that separates the movements of vulnerable road users from vehicles.
  • The speed limit would be reduced from 40km/h to 30km/h.
  • The Esplanade would be converted to one-way westbound from Church Street to Scott Street, from Jarvis Street to Market Street, and from Princess Street to Berkeley Street.
  • The Esplanade would be converted to one-way eastbound from George Street to Frederick Street.
  • Through traffic in both directions between Sherbourne Street and Princess Street would be prohibited.
  • George Street between The Esplanade and Wilton Street would be made one-way southbound to prevent Wilton Street from becoming a bypass and to reduce traffic near St. Michael School.
  • The north half of Farquhars Lane would be made one way northbound to reduce local traffic infiltration and the traffic volume across the busy Front St sidewalk.
  • Otherwise, intersecting streets would not be changed.
1613183232413.png

1613183274850.png

1613183297047.png

1613183413974.png

I'm very happy to hear that they are looking at best practices like raised bike/pedestrian crossings near the park and protected intersections as part of the third phase. It is still quite baby steps, but it is nice to know that the City is actually aware of these best practices and considering implementing them, even though they are pretty modest baby steps.

They didn't say what width they were contemplating for the bidirectional cycle path. Should be at least 4m, but it looks narrower in renderings.

Image from the above:

View attachment 299753

Description of changes to Esplanade:

The following changes are being proposed for The Esplanade:
  • A bi-directional cycle tracks would be added to the south side The Esplanade.
  • Safety enhancements would be added to all intersections, such as renewed pavement markings, prohibited vehicle turns, and signal timing that separates the movements of vulnerable road users from vehicles.
  • The speed limit would be reduced from 40km/h to 30km/h.
  • The Esplanade would be converted to one-way westbound from Church Street to Scott Street, from Jarvis Street to Market Street, and from Princess Street to Berkeley Street.
  • The Esplanade would be converted to one-way eastbound from George Street to Frederick Street.
  • Through traffic in both directions between Sherbourne Street and Princess Street would be prohibited.
  • George Street between The Esplanade and Wilton Street would be made one-way southbound to prevent Wilton Street from becoming a bypass and to reduce traffic near St. Michael School.
  • The north half of Farquhars Lane would be made one way northbound to reduce local traffic infiltration and the traffic volume across the busy Front St sidewalk.
  • Otherwise, intersecting streets would not be changed.
View attachment 299755
View attachment 299756

View attachment 299757

View attachment 299758
Love it. Finally some legit bikeways in the city

It upsets me that such streetscape plans suggested for a "downtown" neighbourhood cannot be applied to a "suburban" neighbourhood. Instead the "suburban" neighbourhood has streets with wide lanes, creating a want-to-be expressway running through a zoned "residential low-density" neighbourhood, with little regard for cyclists or pedestrians.

I think the title of thread should be expanded not just to "downtown", but to the entire "city" and even into the "905".

Not sure if this has been discussed here before but the City is moving ahead on bike lanes on both The Esplanade and Mill Street to create a 'through route' from Yonge to Bayview. While one can quibble about some of the details, I think the plan is basically sound There is a public consultation on 25th February between 6.30 and 8.30. See details of the plan and info about signing up for the meeting at toronto.ca/EsplanadeMill

Apart from concerns about enforcement of one-way only blocks on The Esplanade and maybe pushing more vehicles onto residential streets like George and Frederick, my cycling concern is the proposal to add a separate bike track through Parliament Square park NORTH of the existing shared pathway. This seems bizarre to me as it will create a big problem when this reaches Parliament Street. Probably better to move the bike path south of the pedestrians at the Berkeley/Hahn Place intersection.

What makes you say that? The suburbs are making similar, slow progress on improved cycling infrastructure.

Last edited:
Apart from concerns about enforcement of one-way only blocks on The Esplanade and maybe pushing more vehicles onto residential streets like George and Frederick, my cycling concern is the proposal to add a separate bike track through Parliament Square park NORTH of the existing shared pathway. This seems bizarre to me as it will create a big problem when this reaches Parliament Street. Probably better to move the bike path south of the pedestrians at the Berkeley/Hahn Place intersection.

My initial thoughts were similar to yours. However the more I looked at the diagrams, it became apparent to me that the design intention was to minimize cyclist-pedestrian crossings in that stretch. Assuming the majority of east-west foot traffic is on the south side of the Parliament and Mill St. intersection (between park/path and Distillery District), cyclists won't often cross paths with east-west pedestrians in the proposed configuration. The slight jog in the cycle track at Parliament seems unavoidable given the Mill St. reconfiguration, so best to keep some mode separation at that intersection. Hopefully there's some way finding and other design choices made that encourage pedestrians to that south side crossing too.

Admittedly though, I tend to stick to Front for my east-west cycling routes through the area, so maybe I'm overlooking something. But I agree that overall this looks like a great plan.

What makes you say that? The suburbs are more similar, slow progress on improved cycling infrastructure.

If the bike lane doesnt use up a lane previously meant for cars then its not a success for bicycle infrastructure! Death to cars! /s

If the bike lane doesnt use up a lane previously meant for cars then its not a success for bicycle infrastructure! Death to cars! /s

Sure the right lanes downtown are NO STOPPING, but drivers still park there to get their emergency latte. Makes no difference if the lane is taken by parked automobiles or a bicycle lane.

A reported headed to the next TRCA Board of Directors meeting on February 26th indicated that the tender has been issued to the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment for the Mid-Humber Gap Trail.

Report here:

From said report:

1614014285634.png

So we should know late next year or in early 2022 when the project will proceed.

Also from the report; and rather disappointing, is that it appears the decision has been made not take land from the Golf Course across the river; which could be done quite efficiently without compromising the course in any substantial way.

The result means that any trail will either be just above the water on a viaduct/boardwalk or hug and likely climb the steep slopes of the east river bank.

Also noted is that depending on the alignment chosen, it may include an on-road component (presumably on Weston Road); presumably, as a physically separated bi-directional path, but that is not clear at this time.

The cost range is 3.5M-9.5M depending on the route chosen and design choices.

1614014533835.png

Back