Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

A tour of every side, starting from the south-east:

View attachment 299107

Now from the east, directly along the southern facade:

View attachment 299108

Now looking at the south-western side, from the south-east:

View attachment 299109

Mid-way, from the south:

View attachment 299110

South-west podium:

View attachment 299111

Look at the western and southern corner, from Sugar Beach:

View attachment 299112

View attachment 299113

Now the north-western corner:

View attachment 299115

Western facade, looking back south towards the Lake:

View attachment 299117

Northern facade, starting on the west:

View attachment 299119

View attachment 299120

View attachment 299121

Finishing w/the eastern facade, and some of the north as well:

View attachment 299122

I think this should be renamed the Photography Innovation Centre, as it takes a fair amount of skill to make this building not look like a massive disappointment.

Great shots by you and everyone else that have contributed pictures to this thread.

939B9088-DAD7-4D6B-8B09-5DCF244F8D4E.jpeg

At least the surroundings are interesting:

View attachment 300121

Photo credit: Terry-Ann Wright
It is best to wear a helmet when walking under these parasols.

It's never fun to have an icicle puncture through one's toque and end up with a hole in one's skull.

Better yet, don't go directly underneath them.

lol it's fine. the overly wide road is a bigger problem.

Two thoughts:

1) You're right, the building is 'fine' as in adequate, good enough, not bad, so/so, okay etc. But is that the appropriate standard for a building:

a) dubbing itself 'The Innovation Centre'? Can the architecture here really be described as 'innovative'?
b) is situated in a prominent location on the central waterfront; on public land, where one of the clearly expressed goals has been excellence in design and a desire for something iconic?

2) The road, fortunately, will be fixed........once we finally get around to the Waterfront East LRT; which does seem to be getting closer; though measured in 'Toronto years' it may still be awhile yet!

Does anyone know what this black box on the top of the building is? This is not the best angle but it’s unsightly - is it permanent?View attachment 300810
It's the mechanical penthouse. It's permanent. Most buildings have one protruding from the top, as opposed to integrating them behind what would look like just another floor.

Does anyone know what this black box on the top of the building is? This is not the best angle but it’s unsightly - is it permanent?

It's the mechanical penthouse. It's permanent. Most buildings have one protruding from the top, as opposed to integrating them behind what would look like just another floor.

They never stopped with the "innovation" with this one 🤣

I don't know why I keep harping on this one. It really boils down to the irony of it being called an innovation centre.

Innovation Centre is just a branding/marketing ploy - I don't know if they'll even put up the name on the building. There are lots of buildings in Toronto with bombastic names like The Icon that don't look anything like their namesakes. I think the disappointment here stems from the earlier proposal (the one that supposedly looks too similar to the Ryerson Student Centre) compared to the present buildings.

Back