Toronto West Don Lands: Blocks 17 & 26 | 141m | 43s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects

I agree with the sentiments here. Poor placement of the towers, and waaaaay too little density. Instead of the 5 or 10 extra stories some are suggesting, I would say why not 20 or 30? The greater the density, the more vibrant the neighbourhood and the greater the number of affordable housing units included. More density also provides more money that can go towards the reuse of the buildings, while allowing the developer to profit, as is necessary.

Given the reception of this IRCPA plan here, now can we put to rest the false narrative being perpetuated that everyone fighting demolition is anti-development or anti-density?

By beginning to demolish these heritage buildings illegally and without consultation, the Province has acomplished something I previously thought impossible: it has created an unholy alliance between NIMBYs and YIMBYs.

Let's have a good presence of UTers there!!
wdl14.jpg

Let's have a good presence of UTers there!!

It's a good idea, but sadly I'm going to have to pass.

My wife has a running gag whenever she spots me browsing UT on my phone, where she mimicks me speaking in a sacrine sweet tone saying "oooo, I love buildings so much". I don't live near the Foundry, so it's not a situation where I could just duck out for a bit. If I spend my Valentine's Day at the Foundry, I will never live it down.

thread

Police cars revolving light

#SaveTheFoundry alert! The Province has provided select media outlets with an announcement for tomorrow that they'll start consultation on "how to maintain some heritage elements" on the Foundry lands. How on earth does the Province continue to get this so bloody wrong?

The City and community doesn't want to play heritage Lego with the Premier – picking and pulling at bits and pieces of windows, trims, columns or bricks. Such an announcement is insincere.

We are asking for meaningful consultation on the future use of the ENTIRE Foundry site. From lot line to lot line and with all four heritage buildings on the property. What the Province is suggesting is just not good enough.

Justice Corbett ruled that the Province made serious mistakes by not following the rules and conditions in the Heritage Act, the Standards & Guidelines for Conservation of Provincial Heritage Properties and the Plan of Subdivision agreement with the City of Toronto.

---

Guess I'm going to be taking an exercise walk around the foundry during the protest on the 14th

I think it's suffice to say that we should be treating this "how to maintain some heritage elements" the same way we should treat "looking for efficiencies" from this government. That is, they'll likely gut & cut it Mike Harris style...only try to make it sound nicer somehow. /bleh

It's like they're taking examples of token and fragmentary retention out there, facadectomies and Guild Inn arrays and otherwise, as evidence that "this is the way to do it".

Architectural preservation, Ford MZO style. "Okay, we'll tear down the building, but we'll save so-and-so just to make you happy. Deal? Deal." As if this were the most "desirable" solution for all parties involved...

Here is a link to the Ontario government's 'consultation' site. https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-crown-land-affordable-housing-eastern-avenue-toronto They provide no guidelines or information so one suspects (!!) this is a total sham but it MAY be worth calling them out on their lack of respect. I just did and feel better for it.

Also, don't forget the 11.15 'demonstration' on the site tomorrow morning. - it would be great to see LOTS of UTers and others there. I will be there with a large hand knitted (no, not by me) red scarf to try to meet the organisers' 'wear red for St Valentin's Day ' suggestion. (Realised I have no read clothing!)

It's like they're taking examples of token and fragmentary retention out there, facadectomies and Guild Inn arrays and otherwise, as evidence that "this is the way to do it".

Architectural preservation, Ford MZO style. "Okay, we'll tear down the building, but we'll save so-and-so just to make you happy. Deal? Deal." As if this were the most "desirable" solution for all parties involved...

It feels like we've regressed about 60 years on the heritage front.

At least they care - better than sneering from behind a keyboard.

Here is a link to the Ontario government's 'consultation' site. https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-crown-land-affordable-housing-eastern-avenue-toronto They provide no guidelines or information so one suspects (!!) this is a total sham but it MAY be worth calling them out on their lack of respect. I just did and feel better for it.

At least they are not hiding the fact that market housing is part of the development now

At least they are not hiding the fact that market housing is part of the development now
The definition of 'affordable housing' has many variations and even if one takes the Minister at his word (which is hard to do after his recent actions) the 'plans' say that there will be 3 residential buildings: two will be tall, one will be quite short and in THIS building there will be only 30% of 'affordable units' . Though I stand to be corrected, I would say that this is an example of a government trying to sell off land to a 'friend' (on condition it is empty and has already got permissions to build on it, in hand - hence the MZO).
To make it look like an act of selfless public spiritedness, they are throwing in a MINIMAL number of 'affordable units". All the while failing to meet the conditions set several years ago with the City about this site and failing to follow the procedures laid down in the Ontario Heritage Act for changing heritage properties..

My understanding is that this site is going the same process as the other wdl sites.. which were 30% affordable housing for all units on the site.

Back