Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

That's a render from the Union Square Apple Store in San Francisco (also designed by Foster + Partners).
I was here when they started building the Union Square store. There was A LOT of steel to make that cantilever. We would have seen evidence of something that grand already - likely just to be a well supported balcony if anything.

All informative information. Let’s keep this build centric. On that note, how long do we estimate the next pour is?
There are 4 sets of pours for the main building itself that will be super critical in the next few weeks.
  1. The pour for the super columns to at least Level 5.
  2. The pour for the Level 4 floor.
  3. The pour for the inner box with the elevator cores up to the transfer slab. That latticework of cross-braces will, unfortunately, be covered with concrete.
  4. Following all these pours will be the planned massive 1.5 metre thick transfer slab which is the floor of Level 5.
I have to keep echoing my earlier thoughts. This building is without a doubt one of the most interesting with regards to the complexity of the build.

Edit: Looks like I made a mistake. The massive 1.5 metre thick transfer slab will be poured before the inner box with the latticework of cross-braces. So, the sequence is actually 1, 2, 4, and 3.

Last edited:
Today, the next set ofsupercolumns are up now.
FB6ED9F4-C9B8-44EB-82DB-52D8E33EED18.jpeg
F77DCAF3-C89E-4CEF-BEC3-7DCBF1C78603.jpeg
65A1EE4D-36AE-48C2-A47D-18C1B0822926.jpeg
2028B0DC-816D-4AF9-9113-D0C087149C23.jpeg
AE385158-9AA1-4E11-8408-EA6E6ADE8DC7.jpeg
E906BAE9-4224-48E6-87C9-0D882C1AD5B5.jpeg
3573DA10-0E6C-4731-BE52-D9E5254F3818.jpeg
EB82DBCE-D9E0-4A11-8FCD-A8D1FAA26B98.jpeg

Would having the crane punching a hole through the transfer slab impact the structural integrity in anyway? Is the crane positioning factored into the engineering of these kinds of buildings or can it be assumed that once the hole is later filled that it's as good as it would have been without?

I was here when they started building the Union Square store. There was A LOT of steel to make that cantilever. We would have seen evidence of something that grand already - likely just to be a well supported balcony if anything.

Thanks for that background on Union Square @Contra. What do you think we're looking then? That's a reinforced concrete wall that goes up 2 floors, leaving about 15 feet of clearance. That's a load bearing plinth if I ever saw one. If it's not built to the ceiling, then what load is it going to be supporting?
122abee6-9d4b-4a6f-8b9d-189d6c81bcab-jpeg.298655

Looking back at @Benito's bird’s eye view , this wall wasn't built with the structure. It was added later, so we know it's not supporting the structure. So what purpose does it serve if it's not structural, and stops 15 feet short of the ceiling?

It's important to note that Apple hasn't taken possession of the space yet. Mizrahi is no doubt building the space to their specifications but customizations will only take place once they move their team in.

The steel you saw at Union Square would be a part of building the actual store. We'd get steel beams sitting on that plinth, going back into the adjacent building, tying to its elevator core, and forming a cantilever into the Apple space.

Here's a rough drawing of what I'm describing:
IMG_4493.jpg

Last edited:
Looking back at @Benito's images from above, this wall wasn't built with the structure. It was added later, so we know it's not supporting the structure. So what purpose does it serve if it's not structural, and stops 15 feet short of the ceiling?

It's the poured concrete wall for the parking ramp

1.png

And the space above it will be filled in with drywall creating those risers leading to the tenant's MEP room

2.png

Would having the crane punching a hole through the transfer slab impact the structural integrity in anyway? Is the crane positioning factored into the engineering of these kinds of buildings or can it be assumed that once the hole is later filled that it's as good as it would have been without?
I believe the crane is being moved or so I think I read further back about entry 440 something in this building thread.

Thanks for that background on Union Square @Contra. What do you think we're looking then? That's a reinforced concrete wall that goes up 2 floors, leaving about 15 feet of clearance. That's a load bearing plinth if I ever saw one. If it's not built to the ceiling, then what load is it going to be supporting?

Looking back at @Benito's images from above, this wall wasn't built with the structure. It was added later, so we know it's not supporting the structure. So what purpose does it serve if it's not structural, and stops 15 feet short of the ceiling?

It's important to note that Apple hasn't taken possession of the space yet. Mizrahi is no doubt building the space to their specifications but customizations will only take place once they move their team in.

The steel you saw at Union Square would be a part of building the actual store. We'd get steel beams sitting on that plinth, going back into the adjacent building, tying to its elevator core, and forming a cantilever into the Apple space.

Here's a rough drawing of what I'm describing:
My guess is it'll be a cantilevered staircase or a smaller balcony (but not a whole floor like at Union or the Hangzhou store). It does look pretty hefty but when you compare it to these construction photos I don't think it even comes close.

Apple Union
apple-union-square-san-francisco_04.jpg

Source

Apple Hangzhou
cdbcc20fad41ebe8cbca58a6ebb479e8.jpg

Source

Last edited:
I write for MacRumors.com and I'm just lurking in this thread given the potential Apple Store…

I already keep tabs with @MetroMan but note to everyone, feel free to email me at joe@macrumors.com if any further confirmation of this comes to light!

Thanks!

EDIT: Also I live in Milton now and life is very boring. I miss downtown Toronto so much.

Last edited:
The Apple store is by far the least interesting thing about this development.

The suspected requirement of having a wide open ground level without a core is precisely what enabled the interesting thing about this development - it wouldn't have gone with the structural arrangement otherwise (it certainly isn't a cheap option).

AoD

Back