Toronto West Don Lands: Blocks 17 & 26 | 141m | 43s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects

Were you looking at this list?

Because that's just properties currently deemed surplus, not necessarily those being actively marketed.

Interesting list though.............

This link shows properties for sale: (by the province)

The Foundry site isn't on that list, so far as I can discern.
I had not seen that link so thanks for sending it. The West Don lands site IS listed - under West Don.... second to last page.

I had not seen that link so thanks for sending it. The West Don lands site IS listed - under West Don.... second to last page.

Right, but it's listed on the 'surplus' list, not the 'sold' list.

So far as I can tell.

Scrolling back; Ground-water issues and possible leaching into the Don River brought up.

I would need to see the reports...........but I can tell you, that there are means to cap pollution not only from the top, but the sides as well.

It may or may not be prohibitively expensive.

Now if the contamination is already leaking into the water table..........

Seems to me, we're a few decades late taking action.

Update.

Judge to give his decision Friday.

Asks province to voluntarily pause demo until his ruling; if they don't he will issue an order.

As per below:

1611772112648.png

Matthew Bingley

@mattybing

·
14m

That statement includes this paragraph at the end: “We remain disappointed that the City of Toronto is slowing down the construction of much-needed affordable housing and community space, and environmental remediation in the West Don Lands.”

Show this thread

Matthew Bingley

@mattybing

·
15m

New: Statement from a spokesperson for Min. Steve Clark: the Minister has instructed Infrastructure Ontario to pause environmental remediation and demolition until Friday, January 29th.

Matthew Bingley
@mattybing

·
14m

That statement includes this paragraph at the end: “We remain disappointed that the City of Toronto is slowing down the construction of much-needed affordable housing and community space, and environmental remediation in the West Don Lands.”

Show this thread

Matthew Bingley
@mattybing

·
15m

New: Statement from a spokesperson for Min. Steve Clark: the Minister has instructed Infrastructure Ontario to pause environmental remediation and demolition until Friday, January 29th.

A government 3 years in power gaslights others about slowing down affordable housing builds. If they are so concerned about speed, perhaps they should have taken up social housing responsibilities provincially instead.

AoD

Last edited:

This guy?

Heritage.jpg

It's horrifying that the province is just gaslighting on this with no shame at all.

They can’t provide evidence they even did legally required studies. The entire neighborhood just wants to know that the province has plans for. They can’t even show the plan.

How can the city hold back a development plans aren’t even ready for yet? We don’t even know what the building timeline looks like.

This guy?

Heritage.jpg

This is snark, but it may have a grain of truth. Did the province try for demolition because it didn’t want to risk dealing with Toronto heritage planning?

Put it another way: how long would it take to get heritage preservation services to sign off on a project here? What would it look like? Does anybody know the answers? I follow these things very closely, and I wouldn’t begin to guess.

That seems like a problem.

This is snark, but it may have a grain of truth. Did the province try for demolition because it didn’t want to risk dealing with Toronto heritage planning?

Put it another way: how long would it take to get heritage preservation services to sign off on a project here? What would it look like? Does anybody know the answers? I follow these things very closely, and I wouldn’t begin to guess.

That seems like a problem.

I think that take seems problematic.

For the simple reason that the Province could issue an MZO at any point and override the process; and the threat of same would lurk over City staff from the moment any 'cooperation' began.

Your point might have some validity with a private developer (without good Provincial government contacts) but it really isn't credible to me here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC

Back