Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Earlier today

20210127_103407 (1).jpg

Am I the only one that gets nervous at this point of a commercial build?
I know this tower isn't one to worry about, but I have leftover ptsd from living with the old Bay-Adelaide stump for so many years.

I forgot what thread I clicked on and thought this was the stump that I was looking at. 😅

"Hold on.. I thought this was a lot taller"

Am I the only one that gets nervous at this point of a commercial build?
I know this tower isn't one to worry about, but I have leftover ptsd from living with the old Bay-Adelaide stump for so many years.
No way this is going the way of the old Bay-Adelaide Centre. The demand for office space in the core is going nowhere anytime soon, even with COVID.

Yup as soon as the steel comes in and starts getting assembled this should move very quickly
When is the steel coming because according to the photos up above. Doesn't the core have to rise much higher than it is to start assembling the girders like the CIBC Tower has done. This core seems to be too low for the girder assembly yet .

The only real reason for letting the core get several storeys ahead of the steel is to allow for some flexibility in the erection schedule, so that they don't need to worry about the steel catching the core. If the podium floors are much larger and more complicated than the tower floors I could see the podium steel almost going up concurrently with the core. Have a look at The One. The steel was going up almost at the same time as the core, but the steel was so complicated that there was never an issue about them catching the core.

And really, even if they caught up with the core it wouldn't be the end of the world, it'd just make the logistics of the work more irritating for everyone. Same reason why curtainwall tends to start a few floors below the steel. There's no reason you couldn't install the curtainwall before the slabs gets poured, but it just makes life way easier for everyone to let one trade move through each floor at a time.

All of that said, they'll bring in the steel here once they're ready. No big hurry for it. I bet that core gets up another 3-4 floors before they mobilize to start erecting steel.

Back