News   Mar 28, 2024
 158     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Thanks for the doc. Looks like the total need is $60M, and funding is only suggested to start flowing in 2027? Am I reading that right?

For the second chunk of money yes; but a separate cash-flow statement shows 15M over this year and next is funded.

Whether that 15M is part of 60M or an add-on is unclear to me.

Its also unclear how that money is to be used.

That total sum is also well below the Eglinton Connects numbers I've seen in the past; so its possible there's more $$ both funded and unfunded under other line items.

It will be really nice to see the great fully separated bike lanes built around the station by Metrolinx, connected with paint markings and plastic bollards by the cities contribution....
Honestly looking at the funding identified above, wouldn't surprise me if that is what they are doing. Short term bollards and paint, with a full reconstruction identified towards the end of the decade.

On the subject of cycling in winter. TLDW: cold and snow do not stop people from riding in winter. What you need is proper bike lanes and snow clearing. And Canadians are wimps.

What do you think is the likelihood that the city is going to keep the bike lanes on Danforth for the entire length?

Danforth bike lanes might be very well extended to the east as part of ActiveTO. #destinationdanforth lead my Brad Bradford became a role model for better street design and it is a success story. The Major is in favour.

There is very little doubt that won’t it become permanent by council vote end of this year. I attended several open houses and there was no real opposition. Everyone seems to like it. Residents asking for more!

I biked along The Danforth this summer and it was honestly so much nicer than before. A huge difference from before the bike lanes, not just for cyclists but for how the street feels as a whole. It used to feel quasi-suburban since so much space was dedicated to cars, not any longer.

Danforth bike lanes might be very well extended to the east as part of ActiveTO. #destinationdanforth lead my Brad Bradford became a role model for better street design and it is a success story. The Major is in favour.

There is very little doubt that won’t it become permanent by council vote end of this year. I attended several open houses and there was no real opposition. Everyone seems to like it. Residents asking for more!

Bradford has a say as far as Victoria Park; east of that is Crawford who doesn't seem to be a bike lanes champ (see Brimley lanes removal)

I think the section to VP could happen, there is congestion at that intersection, but if you remove one of the WB lanes, and add a dedicated right turn lane at VP, plus lengthen the left-turn queues for VP Northbound, and the Shoppers World entrance East to South; it would probably help more than hurt.

But it would function better if taken further east.

I believe the practical limit for now is Birchmount, due to the problematic intersection of Danforth + Kingston Rd.

Last edited:
There is a cycling path north of Eglinton Avenue. Except for the missing section over Allen Road.

1*CAkfKr0VO7FBn2pg4L2xwA.png

From link.

There is a cycling path north of Eglinton Avenue. Except for the missing section over Allen Road.

1*CAkfKr0VO7FBn2pg4L2xwA.png

From link.

That's not the point. Trails do not equal on-street cycling infrastructure. Trails are mainly used for recreation and is not on Eglinton. A gravel path has a different purpose than a vibrant main street filled with shops, restaurants and other buildings.

Cycle tracks directly on Eglinton will provide a safe route on the road that people want to ride on. It also provides an alternative for transit users to hop on to a bike instead of taking the train during busy times. Eglinton is a major corridor outlined in the 10-year cycling plan, and main street plan. Bike lanes usually provide a safer road for everyone, and Eglinton Connect's plan is to provide parking, raised cycle tracks, wider sidewalks, green and patio space all in one package.

1611605691599.png

Off-street trails aren't necessarily bad. They just need to be fairly direct (minimal unneeded meandering) and provide reasonable access to points of origin and destination. In some ways they are desirable because there are less conflicts with cars and thus safer/more comfortable.

That's not the point. Trails do not equal on-street cycling infrastructure. Trails are mainly used for recreation and is not on Eglinton. A gravel path has a different purpose than a vibrant main street filled with shops, restaurants and other buildings.

Cycle tracks directly on Eglinton will provide a safe route on the road that people want to ride on. It also provides an alternative for transit users to hop on to a bike instead of taking the train during busy times. Eglinton is a major corridor outlined in the 10-year cycling plan, and main street plan. Bike lanes usually provide a safer road for everyone, and Eglinton Connect's plan is to provide parking, raised cycle tracks, wider sidewalks, green and patio space all in one package.

View attachment 296228

Isn't that the same excuse given for not using the hydro corridor north of Finch Avenue for a LRT?

Back