News   Mar 28, 2024
 15     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 341     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Battery technology? The LRVs will be battery operated?

No, it's standard catenary but battery technology is advancing so quickly that it won't be long until average catenary trains can run a decent amount by just the batteries it already has. It's like Vancouver's trolleys can run short lengths without the catenary. Remember with new technology, batteries also help recharge themselves thru such things as regenerative breaking.

Increasingly the line between battery and catenary trains will continue to be blurred as battery technology continues to advance at a dizzying rate and the need for overhead electrical supply diminishes.

It would be nice if the streetcar lines could lighten up on the overhead wires. Maybe just for intersections/turns where it gets very messy.

It would be nice if the streetcar lines could lighten up on the overhead wires. Maybe just for intersections/turns where it gets very messy.
The use of pantographs on the TTC streetcar system massively reduces the need for near perfect radii overhead cables and lots of supporting cables. You'll see this change (sloooooowly) in Toronto over the next few years. Obviously Finch + Eglinton will be built to modern standards from the start, so you won't see cobwebs of cables over intersections to the same extent.

The use of pantographs on the TTC streetcar system massively reduces the need for near perfect radii overhead cables and lots of supporting cables. You'll see this change (sloooooowly) in Toronto over the next few years. Obviously Finch + Eglinton will be built to modern standards from the start, so you won't see cobwebs of cables over intersections to the same extent.
Small on-board batteries/supercapacitors could achieve the same thing.

On Eglinton/Finch, one won't even see the complexity like the streetcar intersections. The most complex areas would be the T-junction to the yard and the crossover area.

If Doug Ford was smart, for the next election he would fast track the Finch West LRT East Extension, along with the Sheppard Subway extension.
I'd much rather see Line 4 extended to the west than a Line 6 extension to the east in terms of priority but I agree with you for the most part.

Should Finch East be at grade or underground?
Mostly at grade I'd think, except perhaps near Yonge - and perhaps Don Mills. Though elevated is surely an option too, and would be much quicker to build than going underground ... but I'd like to see underground at Yonge.

I'd have thought Finch West between Yonge and Keele would have more spots where at-grade might be an issue.

Last edited:
If Doug Ford was smart, for the next election he would fast track the Finch West LRT East Extension, along with the Sheppard Subway extension.
Wouldn't be able to do much more than announce it. I don't think the planning for Sheppard is all that advanced.

Extending the Finch West LRT to Line 1's Finch Station will have to wait until after the Ontario Line opens.

In the meantime, it could be extended south to Rexdale Boulevard and Woodbine Racetrack. Should the Pearson Transit Hub start construction, the Finch West LRT could be extended to that hub, terminating with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT there (NOT continuing along Eglinton Crosstown LRT).

Back