News   Mar 28, 2024
 74     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

John Street Revitalization

From the City:

Work on the John Street corridor is going forward. City staff are expecting to have a tender ready by early 2019 with an anticipated start date for construction in Summer 2019.

Some underground utility companies will be starting some work to upgrade and relocate their infrastructure located below John Street before the City contract for construction work.

Toronto Hydro is the first utility company to begin work on the north-end of John Street this month. They will be working on:

• John Street: from Queen to Stephanie, and
  • Queen Street: from John to Beverley
For more information, please see the construction on the project webpage www.toronto.ca/johnstreet

Last edited:
John has been all torn up between Grange Park and Richmond for a few months, now. I’ve been wondering if it is directly related to the John reconstruction/cultural corridor project (as opposed to regular SOGR works, or similar), and this new sign seems to suggest it is.

2B0B121D-A2C6-49E1-85EC-BB8B06BDEC7A.jpeg

John has been all torn up between Grange Park and Richmond for a few months, now. I’ve been wondering if it is directly related to the John reconstruction/cultural corridor project (as opposed to regular SOGR works, or similar), and this new sign seems to suggest it is.

View attachment 193056

The construction notice has additional details: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...truction-Notice_John-Street_ward-20_FINAL.pdf

I find it shocking that the expected completion date is 2023. It's not even 1.5 km long.

From Cressy's newsletter:

The John Street Cultural Corridor

Phase 1 of construction on the John Street Cultural Corridor is now underway! A pedestrian-focused design, the project includes the elimination of 2 lanes of traffic, narrower lanes, greatly expanded sidewalks and the removal of curbs, so there is no barrier between the road and pedestrian realm. These key design components, in addition to upgraded lighting provided by the local Business Improvement Area, new event spaces at intersections, and landscaping and pavement treatments, come together to create a slower, safer space for everyone.

Construction is currently underway to relocate underground utilities including Toronto Hydro, making way for the surface improvements along the length of the cultural corridor to follow.

What's the status of this ? Haven't been down to the area in ages and I couldn't find anything online.

What's the status of this ? Haven't been down to the area in ages and I couldn't find anything online.

Currently budgeted for this past year, and the current year and next I believe.

I haven't been down there since early fall; but at that time no streetscape work had begun, but hydro had patched their work north of Queen and was actively working south of there.

Last edited:

Back