Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

we should build something at 1867 meters (since we are metric) to signify the birth of our nation
Confederation may have happened on 1867, but Canada became fully independent (aside from still recognizing Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom as Canada's head of state) in 1982. Let's make the building 1982m instead!

Confederation may have happened on 1867, but Canada became fully independent (aside from still recognizing Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom as Canada's head of state) in 1982. Let's make the building 1982m instead!

True, but as a monarchist I must say that Canada's monarchy and the throne of Canada is 100% legally separate from the UK's monarchy, it just so happens that the 2 very separate offices are held by the same individual, so there is no "aside from" that exists. In theory we could change our succession laws and crown anyone King or Queen

Last edited:
True, but as a monarchist I must say that Canada's monarchy and the throne of Canada is 100% legally separate from the UK's monarchy, it just so happens that the 2 very separate offices are held by the same individual, so there is no "aside from" that exists
Thanks for the clarification. The Queen of the United Kingdom and the Queen of Canada are indeed legally two different positions that happen to be held by the same individual.

This kind of reminds me of the skyscraper war in New York in 1929 when 40 Wall Street and Chrysler Building were each vying to be the tallest building in the world.

Well, maybe they'll just secretly build a spire inside the penthouse levels, and then raise it up in a surprise move just like what happened at the Chrysler Building in New York on October 23, 1929.

The secret spire story of the Chrysler Building is a NYC legend... the185 foot spire was built inside the building and then raised from within the core, “like a butterfly 🦋from its cocoon.”*

^ think the quote may be from the architect William Van Alen

Mind you it held the world's tallest crown for less than a year before ESB blew past it by 200 feet. Most astonishing is ESB's construction in just 11 months (not sure if that included shovelling the dirt for foundations ;-).
A fun little read for those interested in the above: https://www.amazon.ca/Higher-Historic-Race-Making-City/dp/0767912683

Some photos Jan 8th, cold and crisp but not much snow. Yesterday was mild, even saw 4 kayakers on the harbour. Seems like just a few years (maybe 10 years) ago the bay would freeze over and there would be skaters and ice sailors out. Not this year, not yet.
Anyway, pics from today,
0F2C274C-5827-4990-8C98-8BEBFBBC48D2.jpeg
69314C09-8D5B-4337-884B-EFE8F7B004D8.jpeg
F92D444A-7395-4E42-B643-AEF92945AA00.jpeg

Odd that the last shot in that set has rounded balconies that match the renders.
I think it's something to do that organic sweeping windowed opening lobby in the corner in the render may not be possible with all that cinder block construction in the way. To be fair though, from that angle right now of the pictured was shot in question, it's difficult to see what is going on...as it appears there's still piece of the wall (part of the original TorStar printing house?) they're pulling down that is blocking that view currently. So I don't know what is actually going on there as far as the rendering matching is concerned... >.<

Back