Toronto Allure | 139.5m | 43s | Emblem Developments | Arcadis

So it looks like this development's heritage conservation strategy is to replace one of the few remaining dive bars in the city with façadism and sitting adjacent, another black brick podium. I guess that's how condo development in the city goes... bring on the starbucks sitting behind a retained heritage wall.

To my knowledge, the second floor of east side king's court condos has a pretty big walk-out terrance. Not sure if that is accounted for when the renderings specified 7.74m. I am trying to look up old floor plans out of curiosity. But if someone actually has the measurement let me know, I am really curious how tight they actually want to rezone this area.

I also don't know the new floor plans although the preliminary blueprints show they will be bowling alley units. I am also a stickler for consistent renderings but the balconies in the floor renderings are situated facing north and south but in the tower renderings, they put balconies on the west and east.

Another concern will be traffic. Adelaide is a one way street...so I guess drivers would need to go on king if they want to west. Or loop up to Richmond and join the kiss of death traffic during rush hour...

Also it really bugs me how developers are adding weird amenities like homework station and pet relief area. What are people going to use the community kitchen for? I assume the units all come with a kitchen. And I also assume there would be one in their designated amenity floor.

Last edited:
The height being proposed here is an insult to the neighbourhood.
Is it though?

The architectural design certainly is insulting, no disagreement there. However, the height seems pretty reasonable and consistent with other recent nearby proposals. 33 Sherbourne at 38 storeys, the King East Centre res tower at 37 storeys, Bauhaus at 32 storeys, 75 Ontario at 34 storeys, and 49 Ontario at 36 storeys.

The height being proposed here is an insult to the neighbourhood.
I know! It’s way too short. They are getting a new subway line and they are asking for only 40 storeys? Weston and Finch is getting 55s, why not that here? It’s a much better spot for it. It’s an insult to undervalue the neighbourhood so much.

Another concern will be traffic.

A building this close to downtown should have a very low parking ratio. No more than 0.1 cars/unit, really. Accommodating car owners this deep downtown is really not a priority.

I assume the units all come with a kitchen.

Well if you consider appliances along your living room wall a kitchen... ;)

Here are a few renders showing how this building will fit in to the future neighborhood:

Toronto Model 01-07-21 236 KIng E2.png

Toronto Model 01-07-21 236 KIng E.png

The podium is an absolute joke.

I support intensification here. Why oh why do developers make it as hard as possible for me to do so???

Interesting; how much taller do you think it should be?

I agree with the others here as well - the proposed height isn't the problem here, especially since downtown is expanding outward. You'll be seeing many more tower proposals in areas that don't currently have any.

Some valid points. I guess I'm just not ready for the dramatic change this neighbourhood will see in the next ten years. This and the other proposals are going to completely change the character of the neighbourhood. Each time I'm on this side of town I'm reminded of the dense and walkable urban centres of many European towns/cities where it's dense enough to animate the streets day/night and you can still get sunlight on your favourite street-side patio. In my perfect world, the north and south-east corner buildings of King/Sherbourne would be the precedent (in terms of height & massing) for developing the rest of the neighbourhood. Though I understand the incoming subway stop and overall economic pressures make that point moot.

At the very least they should rethink that black brick podium - ideally something with red/copper tones (either red brick or some other high quality cladding) and add some additional fine-grained retail to make up for the existing urban fabric they intend to disrupt.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 162002.png

So it looks like this development's heritage conservation strategy is to replace one of the few remaining dive bars in the city with façadism and sitting adjacent, another black brick podium. I guess that's how condo development in the city goes... bring on the starbucks sitting behind a retained heritage wall.
The owner of Betty's is actually thankful that this development came around. It will allow them to re-open after the pandemic and remain open for another few years. If not for this development, the owner said they would've never re-opened after March.

After this is complete, Betty's will be moving locations just down the street to Leslieville.

Here is the source: https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/beloved-bettys-bar-could-make-way-for-40-storey-condo-tower

Back