News   Mar 28, 2024
 199     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 302     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 673     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

I don't know how many times I have to argue this, but a grid system still requires convenient and easy connection points (see the TTC), something the current network really lacks. If you're going to make people transfer, you have to make it convenient.

You can still divert a bus route to serve the terminal, then leave the terminal immediately instead of laying over, but centralize that connection instead of forcing commuters to wander around aimlessly wondering where the hell their bus stops.
I feel like people who uphold the lack of bus bays act like the people who want more bus bays are trying to have a 1970s downtown bus terminal. It's not that proponents want every bus rerouted to the station, it's that GRT buses, including an iXpress, will be stopping on-street rather than at the bus terminal for no real reason.

Just because it might work doesn't make it a great idea!
Honestly, what's the problem? The LRT would never have to stop at such an intersection as there are no traffic lights to coordinate with. And as long as the LRT is not too frequent, the delay for cars should be minimal.

I feel like people who uphold the lack of bus bays act like the people who want more bus bays are trying to have a 1970s downtown bus terminal. It's not that proponents want every bus rerouted to the station, it's that GRT buses, including an iXpress, will be stopping on-street rather than at the bus terminal for no real reason.
It's not for no reason. Diverting routes into a terminal adds significant time and variability to schedules. The reality is that the present stop locations are largely more optimal than a terminal stop would be anyway, except for riders transferring to GO.

It's not for no reason. Diverting routes into a terminal adds significant time and variability to schedules. The reality is that the present stop locations are largely more optimal than a terminal stop would be anyway, except for riders transferring to GO.
Significant time usually means an additional 2-3 minutes with the added benefits of:

1. Centralized transit operations (easy of wayfinding) (Do not confuse this with a centralized transit network, those are completely different things)
2. Ease of transferring (Saving probably 3-5 minutes walking to a particular bus stop)
3. Flexible operations (easy shortturn locations, layover facilities if necessary, spare bus swapping)
4. Climate Controlled shelters
5. Fewer Shelters
6. Better timing with GO trains
7. More space for people to wait (anyone who's been at the SE corner of Victora and King waiting for a rush hour bus already knows the pain)
8. Better ammenities for passengers
9. Potential charging station locations (for BOBs)
10. Easier mantainence
11. More accessible access (especially in winter)

You don't need a 30 bay bus terminal to achieve this, but at the very least adequate looping facilities for buses passing through. You also need to route your buses adequately to the terminal. I'd much rather see a better terminal facility here than a piss poor parking lot at this station, especially with Breslau GO.

I didn't have time to take a picture, but there's another pillar sign up at the Phillip Street entrance to the UW bus station. I wonder if more will go up at other "off-street" stations?
Are there any other locations besides Fairway?

What's a pillar sign?
Same style as the ones at R&T Park and Fairway:
rt-sign-jpg.288051
fairway.jpg

Looks like some of the overhead was sagging at a crossover and some wood poles have been installed to lift it up.

View attachment 291592

That's been there from day one. This is the facing point crossover for freight trains to get on/off the southbound track, and only intended to be part of the northern 'test track' segment for the LRVs. (It would allow them to stop and cross over without blocking the Erb/Caroline intersection.) When the Crosstown was delayed so much that Waterloo became the vehicles' launch customer and bore the brunt of the teething problems, the entire line wound up complete before the first vehicle was ready to test. This bit of catenary became redundant as the trailing point crossover for the LRVs just south of here was already in service, as the LRVs will never use the facing point crossover in regular service. I'm surprised this 'temporary' wiring is even still there. (Or at least I assumed it was temporary when it went in, as it was the only bit strung with wooden poles.)

Edited to add Erb/Caroline and temporary assumption statements in brackets.

Last edited:

Back