Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Hmm, interesting, according to this rendering, these heritage buildings were supposed to have their body retained as well in the final build, not just the facade.
But from construction photos, it looks like they've all been demolished, except the facade?
🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐
9543-101854.jpeg

Hmm, interesting, according to this rendering, these heritage buildings were supposed to have their body retained as well in the final build, not just the facade.
But from construction photos, it looks like they've all been demolished, except the facade?
🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐
9543-101854.jpeg
I just realized that one of the 3D modelers at BIG must play Grand Theft Auto V:

You may well be right but having seen other promising project be 'value engineered" (cheapened) so often I think that the breaking out of the champagne is a bit too early.
Although it might be a tad counterproductive for Westbank to value engineer BIG; they work together a lot and AFAIK have a pretty good relationship. Also, stacked cubes are not exactly an engineering challenge, nor is there necessarily a cheaper way to arrange them than what's depicted in the renderings. The materials are also pretty basic as far as I can tell. I think the design--excluding, perhaps, the forest climbing up the facade- is actually "cheapening" proof--unlike, say, the Gehry towers to the east which are a swirling hot mess.

I say this as someone from about as far away from the development industry as is possible and would appreciate an engineering wonk's view on this.
I also want to add that this is my favorite build currently underway in the city and I hope my naive outlook somehow prevails.

🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐
9543-101854.jpeg
My guess is they did that with the intention of being later reconstructed to be supportive of the new additions and foundation, for right or wrong. And assuming what we see in this rendering hasn't been changed that much for the final structure.

I haven't research this development much. And I would like to know if there's any commercial food court space etc involved in project simular to The Well development ? Because the space being dug up is huge as seen in the photos up above .

🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐
Nope.
My guess is they did that with the intention of being later reconstructed to be supportive of the new additions and foundation, for right or wrong. And assuming what we see in this rendering hasn't been changed that much for the final structure.
I agree, they clearly could not support and excavate below the 'end wall" and I thus expect it will be reconstructed in due course and tied into the (original) facade.
Yep.
I haven't research this development much. And I would like to know if there's any commercial food court space etc involved in project simular to The Well development ? Because the space being dug up is huge as seen in the photos up above .
Nope.

It's a very unique place for this area in the city. It would have been nice to have some kind of small gathering place for the locals and neighbors etc to hang out or buy things etc. It's too bad that will not be the case.

Is there not a courtyard anymore?
I don't recall anywhere it was stated that they'll be removing the courtyard component. As this would likely cause a significant redesign and a major variance to what has been agreed upon to be built, costing more time and money, I gather. So mostly likely it's still going in.

Last edited:

Back