News   Apr 25, 2024
 26     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 635     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Pole spacing is determined by track curves. If the rails are perfectly straight there can be less poles. If the track is curving, even gradually, more poles are required to hold the wire as close to the centre line as possible.

the more straighter, the less poles required? i guess that makes sense because only one pole is required to hold my wire close to the center line. forgot what her name was but i think she's from warsaw. :D

p.s, mods, i tried to resist but i couldn't. all the words were there.

Pole spacing is determined by track curves. If the rails are perfectly straight there can be less poles. If the track is curving, even gradually, more poles are required to hold the wire as close to the centre line as possible.

Surely there as an alternative to having a pole every five feet because there is a curve. Could there not be spans from the side of the road? I know it works just as fine having the poles in the middle, but it looks like someone wanted to make it as complicated as possible.

Surely there as an alternative to having a pole every five feet because there is a curve. Could there not be spans from the side of the road? I know it works just as fine having the poles in the middle, but it looks like someone wanted to make it as complicated as possible.

This should help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoaFCu3SYD0

Just look how snaky the track work is.

If TTC went with pantograph system from day one for this ROW, there would only a few support brackets that would had to be reposition so no grove is carve into the pantograph. Poles could have been space further apart also.

The return trip took 3 minutes long as the car was caught up in traffic at Yonge St and stop a few time more. Over 2 minutes at Yonge.

Speaking of centre poles, I'll never understand the TTC's insistence on using them on St Clair. They made the ROW needlessly wider, used up valuable sidewalk width, and made it unusable for busses and harder for emergency vehicles. Plus there are plenty of light poles along the side of the road of which span wires could be attached. And the last time I looked at the brackets, they don't have enough clearance for pantographs.

The logic escapes me here :confused:

Speaking of centre poles, I'll never understand the TTC's insistence on using them on St Clair. They made the ROW needlessly wider, used up valuable sidewalk width, and made it unusable for busses and harder for emergency vehicles. Plus there are plenty of light poles along the side of the road of which span wires could be attached. And the last time I looked at the brackets, they don't have enough clearance for pantographs.

The logic escapes me here :confused:

While the fact that "buses can't use the ROW" is gospel, if you walk along St. Clair a lot, you will see out of service and some Blue Night drivers will sneak into the ROW when no one is looking. It especially happens along the areas where St. Clair gets really congested at Yonge and Avenue. I've even seen wheel-trans buses use it. The Blue Night guys go in it a lot westbound at Yonge as people always wait at the ROW stop on the west side of Yonge instead of the bus stop on the east side.

Plus the Forest Hill bus uses it as part of the regular route, though I think the section it goes in is deliberately wider to accommodate that. It does still have some centre poles though.

Also, I've never seen an emergency vehicle go in the ROW. They always go on the road.

Wasn't the centre-poles partially at the insistence of opposition groups like SOS wanting less overhead wires?

a solution could have been the use of the side-poles like they use at the stops.

I mean where the power wire connects to the horizontal bracket, a pantograph would make contact with the bracket. But it does appear that the new poles on fleet street do not have this problem

They are the same other changing a bracket to match Fleet. TTC should had done this from day one. I expect to see rest of St Clair done as Fleet and new brackets install for the current section when it taken out of service next year to do the ramps.

The only place a bus on St Clair has real issues is for the eastbound bus at Avenue Rd. To overcome this issues, buses will have to travel slow for about 100-200'

The other issues is, bus drivers don't like narrow road and only have to look at the ramps at St Clair W to find those drivers. Was on 2 of those drivers buses this week and only shook my head. They had no feel for the gas pedal in the first place.

I drove by one of the completed sections and my heart sunk. I was incredibly disappointed. The rails at the stops with the leaning benches look like plumbing and the glass on the shelter walls is foggy and in some cases already vandalized.

My non-urban-enthusiast friend who was with me in the car couldn't believe that that was all brand new. I had to admit that it all looked dated and seemed to have been there for at least a decade.

If they're trying to make a point with St.Clair to gain support for future ROWs as part of Transit City, they're doing a very poor job.

If they're trying to make a point with St.Clair to gain support for future ROWs as part of Transit City, they're doing a very poor job.

Anything that could derail most of Transfer City is good in my book :D

ok, i'm only half-kidding, cuz i feel bad for the people that live there to get stuck with this ROW which is making a bad example for LRT in this city. But if it means that people will hate enough to object to TC and shut it all down, then maybe, just maybe it was worth it.

At least do it where it makes sense and rationalize where you're building LRT versus whatever other technology is appropriate.

I drove by one of the completed sections and my heart sunk. I was incredibly disappointed. The rails at the stops with the leaning benches look like plumbing and the glass on the shelter walls is foggy and in some cases already vandalized.

My non-urban-enthusiast friend who was with me in the car couldn't believe that that was all brand new. I had to admit that it all looked dated and seemed to have been there for at least a decade.

Well, hopefully when St. Clair is all done... in the next, oh, 10 years or so...it will look better. What they really need is prioritized signals. That would help alleviate the stop and go situation of stopping at a red light and then stopping again at the transit stop after the light turns green.

I can't understand why transit priority has not been turned on the St. Clair and Queensway right-of-ways. The streetcars/LRVs come to a stop at a stop light, wait, then the left turn vehicles move first.
Why doesn't the streetcars/LRVs get their signal first?
I have been in Quebec and seen the left turn signal being delayed until after the normal green signal.
The Queensway right-of-way has been there since 1957, but still the streetcars/LRVs haven't been the priority they deserve.

I really do not understand some of you,

I've been on this line countless of times ... it seems great to me, quite a bit faster then the bus that used to exist and I love rushing by cars when the traffic is bad.

Regarding the stops them selves ... I agree they're not amazing but they are not bad in any way either - The boards have too much white on them but other then that I like them ... did anyone see the new light posts they're using ... I think they are great!

I agree that the signal priority should be turned on and if it does that'll take something that's great and make it greater.

Back