News   Apr 24, 2024
 851     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 597     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Could this highway be avoided if trucks could use the 407 ETR on the cheap or for free? Hmm maybe, but I doubt the 407 operators would ever agree.

Of course I agree, in a perfect world where we owned the 407, i belive we wouldn't need this highway.

But whats annoying is people claiming that people who don't want this highway, DONT EVEN LIVE IN CALEDON, and the article claims that it'll become an environmental disaster, then explain the 407E extension once it was built, these environmentalists move on to this highway to complain about.

And they talk about "muh farmland" yeah there's a few farms here and there but most of the farmland in Southern caledon is either sold or for sale.

I went through bolton the other day and the industrial section is booming with construction, on what they call farmland, but yes highway bad bad bad.

Its just frustrating.

Let me know your opinions.

I'm thinking if we started tolling 401 as well, you might see more people using 407 and generally a lot less congestion. The ROW for the 413/GTAW should be reserved, but we should hold off on building it.

Of course I agree, in a perfect world where we owned the 407, i belive we wouldn't need this highway.

But whats annoying is people claiming that people who don't want this highway, DONT EVEN LIVE IN CALEDON, and the article claims that it'll become an environmental disaster, then explain the 407E extension once it was built, these environmentalists move on to this highway to complain about.

And they talk about "muh farmland" yeah there's a few farms here and there but most of the farmland in Southern caledon is either sold or for sale.

I went through bolton the other day and the industrial section is booming with construction, on what they call farmland, but yes highway bad bad bad.

Its just frustrating.

A 400 series highway will bring massive development to that area, and everyone will have easy access if they use their cars. The basic idea is that you want to reduce people’s dependence on cars, and preserve green space around a city. Both of these things require long-term thinking. If you don’t think preserving farmland or reducing people’s dependence on cars are important issues that will affect the entire region, then let’s just say I’m glad you’re not in charge.
We may not own the 407 but we should use any mechanism we can to not build more highways than we need to.

Can you not just make land use policies around the highway that prevent sprawl? This is the greenbelt... should just remain farmland and wooded areas just now with a highway.

Of course Douggie would never allow it, his developer buddies want this highway as an excuse to build around it and elsewhere in the greenbelt.

I see the 413 becoming a significant election issue.

Yeah - and it's a huge shame. The way Brampton/Southern Caledon is sprawling is insane, and unsustainable. Building this highway is just going to accelerate it. Soon you'll have one giant sea of sprawl surrounding Toronto.

I mean, it's already a sea of sprawl. This is going to make it much worse.

Its just frustrating.

omg... between the massive amazon distribution centre, the massive canadian tire distribution centre, the trucking companies, and all of the other industrial... there is SO MUCH traffic going to/from Bolton now. Highway 50 is FULL of trucks on any given day. I don't feel safe driving amongst them. It's insane. The 427 extension needs to open ASAP and honestly, I think this GTA west highway would help a lot too

A 400 series highway will bring massive development to that area,
Development is practically there already or pending for the route that GTA west is planned. All this talk of environmental issues doesn't make sense to me, because the area where this route would go will have development regardless. If we can't get the 407 to take on more traffic, then this highway is necessary.

Development is practically there already or pending for the route that GTA west is planned. All this talk of environmental issues doesn't make sense to me, because the area where this route would go will have development regardless. If we can't get the 407 to take on more traffic, then this highway is necessary.

I'd like to argue what is considered "necessary". Induced demand is a nasty beast. What happens when these highways get filled up which will happen. Do we continue to build and widen highways until everything just becomes one large highway?

I agree, we need to get people moving, but I think we need to think about whether or not the personal automobile is the best way. Are there ways in which we can get people who don't necessarily need to be travelling using a car off the road so that industries that need to use the road can.

I’ll also point out if industrial usage is a major focus, why are so many of the fields in Southern Caledonian/Northern Brampton turning into subdivisions?

I’ve no problem with us having a discussion about land usage, especially as it relates to industrial uses, but I feel like this is a red herring: a lot of the land is lost to housing. Brampton would be far better off upzoning their existing area for example - or at least having a conversation about it.

I wonder how the bulk of the people from Toronto will be feeling about this... Personally, and I don't mean to be glib or hyperbolic, only honest.... It feels really insulting, when you consider the horrible state of transit, and the terrible progress with any new projects over the last 40 years, (lots of blame to go around) that the government will snap their fingers and start construction on a new mega highway next year. Right or wrong, I wonder if anyone else feels like me, and if this will emerge as a controversial project?

I wonder how the bulk of the people from Toronto will be feeling about this... Personally, and I don't mean to be glib or hyperbolic, only honest.... It feels really insulting, when you consider the horrible state of transit, and the terrible progress with any new projects over the last 40 years, (lots of blame to go around) that the government will snap their fingers and start construction on a new mega highway next year. Right or wrong, I wonder if anyone else feels like me, and if this will emerge as a controversial project?

I personally believe the capital of the province needs to be the best of the best regarding transit, but I also belive the GTA as a whole is even more important. The GTA is the powerhouse of this province, its about time it gets the transit/connectabillity it deserves.

It's not getting built next year. I have no idea why the article says that.

Back