Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Which part of the city do you think can support a building over 350 metres?
Like i said up above, the Toronto Financial District in the future can definitely support and handle a couple residential 400+ meter pencil towers without going through too much municipal bureaucracy
Another place for sure is somewhere in the City of Mississauga which should be breaking the 300+ meter mark very soon
...anyways lets not get off topic,, a couple approved towers @ 330m + 305m here are not too shabby:cool:

Last edited:
City of Mississauga which should be breaking the 300+ meter mark very soon
This I believe is the most likely option. Total redevelopment of downtown. Far less concerns around height (no airport, view corridors, less shadowing concerns etc) and no CN tower to overshadow. Mississauga is trying to establish itself as an independent city rather than a suburb and both Rogers and Oxford clearly have confidence in it.

Who knows. Oxford may even build 400+ with square one, but I think MCC will be the first to do it.

Which part of the city do you think can support a building over 350 metres?

The University/York/King triangle could hold 2 to 3 towers of that size without running into shadowing concerns. 33 Yonge is another prime location which is currently underbuilt, and an office/hotel (mostly office) combo would fit very well there.

Last edited:
The CN Tower has a second observation deck at 446.5 metres.
Yes I know that but a good percent of the public stays on the first observation area for viewing and dining etc. But it would be awesome if the can expand the height of the tower by beefing up the base of the tower. So they widen the 446.5 observation tower or go further up to 500 metres if possible to view further above any supertall obstruction . After all the tower is coming close to 50 years and needs a major uplift .

This I believe is the most likely option. Total redevelopment of downtown. Far less concerns around height (no airport, view corridors, less shadowing concerns etc) and no CN tower to overshadow. Mississauga is trying to establish itself as an independent city rather than a suburb and both Rogers and Oxford clearly have confidence in it.

Who knows. Oxford may even build 400+ with square one, but I think MCC will be the first to do it.
There is still lots of anti-height sentiment in Mississauga, though it is beyond me why anyone would care about it in, say, MCC. Maybe just general anti-density sentiment due to fear of traffic, 'undesirables', etc.

On the topic of this Gehry proposal, is the idea for the curving facade to overhang the street? It seems a bit half-baked. I can imagine chunks of ice sliding off the building into the street. I remember a building on my university campus that tended to accumulate massive iceburgs on a pedestrian bridge between two buildings with a pedestrian walkway underneath and occassionally seeing a 300kg chunk of ice that had fallen. Would be awful luck to be underneath it when it comes down.

In truth - hasn't the Mirvish project now essentially just become a hypothetical discussion on building heights?

It's been more of a hypothetical discussion of when and if they're going to build it from all the thread bumpings...

This thread was bumped because one of the financial partners behind this development literally said the project is launching next year.
I'm not quite sure he said next year. He just said that things were happening here, as well as at the adjacent site where another supertall was just proposed.

I'm not quite sure he said next year. He just said that things were happening here, as well as at the adjacent site where another supertall was just proposed.

"Through its publicly traded Dream Impact Trust, Dream also has an interest in the Mirvish+Gehry development, which would be located on the same block of King Street West. That two-tower complex, approved by the city at heights up to 328 metres, “is actively moving forward” and should come to market in 2021, Mr. Cooper said."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...t-development-proposal-since-covid/#c-image-2

"Through its publicly traded Dream Impact Trust, Dream also has an interest in the Mirvish+Gehry development, which would be located on the same block of King Street West. That two-tower complex, approved by the city at heights up to 328 metres, “is actively moving forward” and should come to market in 2021, Mr. Cooper said."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...t-development-proposal-since-covid/#c-image-2
I stand corrected. I recalled just seeing the actively moving forward part. Thanks!

This thread was bumped because one of the financial partners behind this development literally said the project is launching next year.
To be clear, I wasn't referring to the latest thread bumping. Sorry for not qualifying that. :(

Back