News   Mar 28, 2024
 133     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

1. The obligatory "That bus terminal is too damn small"
2. How are people supposed to get to the SB iON trains?
3. How are people supposed to get to the North GO Platform?
4. Shops? Seriously, none?

You read my mind! Was going to write some questions. haha
It doesn't seem like there is a crosswalk for the SB iON platforms which makes the walk to it longer than people would find acceptable. I see many people jaywalking as soon as they get down the stairs. It would be cool if they added a small pedestrian bridge over the road and down to the platform.

You read my mind! Was going to write some questions. haha
It doesn't seem like there is a crosswalk for the SB iON platforms which makes the walk to it longer than people would find acceptable. I see many people jaywalking as soon as they get down the stairs. It would be cool if they added a small pedestrian bridge over the road and down to the platform.
The SB Ion will be accessible by a bridge to be built alongside the rail overpass. The north platform will be accessible through a tunnel at Waterloo Street.

Source: site plan / traffic flow in the drawing package: https://www.engagewr.ca/king-victoria-transit-hub

1607827559284.png

Beautiful building, though. The shop potential is huge, there's a Balzacs right around the corner but I feel like another one may be welcome here.

I can see people stopping off at the dentist, doctor, pharmacy, barber/beauty parlour, green grocer, dry cleaners, newspaper vendor (whatever that is), post office (whatever that is), butcher, baker, candlestick maker (okay, leave that one out), etc.. at any transit hub.

Beautiful building, though. The shop potential is huge, there's a Balzacs right around the corner but I feel like another one may be welcome here.
I'm counting down the days until that U Haul location is gone and replaced with condos (and street level shops)

1. The obligatory "That bus terminal is too damn small"
2. How are people supposed to get to the SB iON trains?
3. How are people supposed to get to the North GO Platform?
4. Shops? Seriously, none?
1. The bus terminal is for intercity buses only. GRT buses stop on the street.
2, 3. Answered with image above
4. There's future plans for mixed use development on the property that will address this.

1. The bus terminal is for intercity buses only. GRT buses stop on the street.
2, 3. Answered with image above
4. There's future plans for mixed use development on the property that will address this.
It shouldn't be for intercity buses only. It's a central transit centre. It should serve all buses that serve the GO station.

The other two were more of a criticism of the video rendering itself and how it doesn't show this.

It shouldn't be for intercity buses only. It's a central transit centre. It should serve all buses that serve the GO station.

The other two were more of a criticism of the video rendering itself and how it doesn't show this.
Grand River Transit, upon the start of ION service, abandoned the spoke-and-hub system, particularly centred around the Charles Street Terminal, in favour of the grid-like system of the TTC (which, in systems that have emulated it previously like Brampton Transit, has led to increased ridership growth). Most of the routes in-and-out of DT Kitchener are now interlined to go across and through town, so diverting to the terminal is probably not the best idea.

Grand River Transit, upon the start of ION service, abandoned the spoke-and-hub system, particularly centred around the Charles Street Terminal, in favour of the grid-like system of the TTC (which, in systems that have emulated it previously like Brampton Transit, has led to increased ridership growth). Most of the routes in-and-out of DT Kitchener are now interlined to go across and through town, so diverting to the terminal is probably not the best idea.
I don't know how many times I have to argue this, but a grid system still requires convenient and easy connection points (see the TTC), something the current network really lacks. If you're going to make people transfer, you have to make it convenient.

You can still divert a bus route to serve the terminal, then leave the terminal immediately instead of laying over, but centralize that connection instead of forcing commuters to wander around aimlessly wondering where the hell their bus stops.

Back