News   Apr 25, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 548     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did it consolidate to a larger location? The Beer Stores at Keele and Wilson and Wilson at Collinson closed a few years ago when a new location by Wilson Station opened.

Two stores in Brampton closed (Brampton Mall & City South Plaza) when a new location opened at Shoppers World a few years ago too.

Not that I know of. There are no other beer stores in the area.

Anyways, I hated that store and am glad it's gone.

Ok, in one of the more ridiculous things I've heard of ..............

I was in an LCBO today, purchasing some of my Christmas splurge wines.....

Much less entertaining this year, obviously, so some I will get to enjoy myself; while others will be gifted.

But I digress...........

I had a list of a few wines that I was interested in............

The store in question didn't have some, but I knew they were in the LCBO's inventory...............

Ahem..........

Due to Covid.........the LCBO is not allowing Inter-store transfers of wine.

Really; so a wine I want, that for some reason can only be found in the west end..............if moved to the east end, by a driver, wearing a mask............to a store he/she was already going to, to a loading dock, where it will be taken w/other product by staff wearing masks............somehow poses greater risk of spreading Covid, even when that driver was going to visit the exact same stores anyway?

Come on now...........from the Doug Ford school of logic.

Last edited:
LCBO returning to Yonge & Davisville!
North side of Millwood...in the J. Davis House condo (previous LCBO on the south side of Millwood closed several years ago).

IMG-6598.jpg

Come on now...........from the Doug Ford school of logic.
In my opinion, Doug Ford would see this as unnecessary red tape as well. I think it would be more appropriate to label it AGCO/LCBO school of logic that thinks that although a legal product don't you dare purchase or consume it!
Victorian temperance mindset still runs rampant in policy making at AGCO/LCBO in my opinion.

Not that I know of. There are no other beer stores in the area.

Anyways, I hated that store and am glad it's gone.

Why would anyone be glad a Beer Store is gone? I can understand if you don't like shopping there. If that is the case go shop somewhere else - in a fancy LCBO if that is to your liking or just order online - but the fact is only the Beer Stores accept empty's. The LCBO doesn't. The Beer Store is reducing it's number of locations which is a BAD thing. It means less locations for the general public to recycle their empty's ( I thought recycling was a good thing). It means less locations for those living on the edge who rely on the $$ they get from returning empty's as a way to live. I saw this at my nearest location this past spring when Covid restrictions were in full force. Long lines of people returning shopping carts of empties to get money to eat. The line ups were up to an hour long at my location because other nearby Beer Stores were not able to accept empties. Always look at the big picture!

Why would anyone be glad a Beer Store is gone? I can understand if you don't like shopping there. If that is the case go shop somewhere else - in a fancy LCBO if that is to your liking or just order online - but the fact is only the Beer Stores accept empty's. The LCBO doesn't. The Beer Store is reducing it's number of locations which is a BAD thing. It means less locations for the general public to recycle their empty's ( I thought recycling was a good thing). It means less locations for those living on the edge who rely on the $$ they get from returning empty's as a way to live. I saw this at my nearest location this past spring when Covid restrictions were in full force. Long lines of people returning shopping carts of empties to get money to eat. The line ups were up to an hour long at my location because other nearby Beer Stores were not able to accept empties. Always look at the big picture!

In respect of recycling, as opposed to re-using, 'The Beer Store program is of no greater value than the conventional blue box.

Re-use (the standard beer bottles that can be washed/sterilized and re-used have value; from an ecological perspective, but their share of product is declining rapidly.)

There is no re-use program for wine or booze bottles.

To the extent that it is desirable to retain a deposit/return system, it really should be expanded to every point of sale. The notion of limiting it to a single retailer, with ever fewer locations doesn't make such sense.

I think it's important to note, irrespective of the current government, the era of the retail Beer Store is almost certainly in decline.

It may not vanish entirely; but I would be very surprised if the chain weren't slashed by more than 1/2 over the next 6-10 years.

The issue of poverty is a pressing and real one in our society; but the answer to that is no more a deposit/return system than panhandling.

Neither can even be described as a stop-gap measure.

We could discuss at some length the various tools to combat poverty; but suffice to say, there are many and varied options which would be far kinder and more effective than this program.

Last edited:
In respect of recycling, as opposed to re-using, 'The Beer Store program is of no greater value than the conventional blue box.

Re-use (the standard beer bottles that can be washed/sterilized and re-used have value; from an ecological perspective, but their share of product is declining rapidly.)

There is no re-use program for wine or booze bottles.

To the extent that it is desirable to retain a deposit/return system, it really should be expanded to every point of sale. The notion of limiting it to a single retailer, with ever fewer locations doesn't make such sense.

I think it's important to note, irrespective of the current government, the era of the retail Beer Store is almost certainly in decline.

It may not vanish entirely; but I would be very surprised if the chain weren't slashed by more than 1/2 over the next 6-10 years.

The issue of poverty is a pressing and real one in our society; but the answer to that is no more a deposit/return system than panhandling.

Neither can even be described as a stop-gap measure.

We could discuss at some length the various tools to combat poverty; but suffice to say, there are many and varied options which would be far kinder and more effective than this program.

"The Beer Store program is of no greater value than the conventional blue box"

REALLY? I get NOTHING throwing out 24 empty's into a blue box but I get $2.40 returning them to the Beer Store. The Beer Store also gives $$ for Wine and Liquor bottles so I don't understand your other comment. Returning empty's to the Beer Store is not the same thing as "panhandling". More people than you realize depend on this income to LIVE. I think you are very out of touch from how many poor people live in this city.

REALLY? I get NOTHING throwing out 24 empty's into a blue box but I get $2.40 returning them to the Beer Store. The Beer Store also gives $$ for Wine and Liquor bottles so I don't understand your other comment. Returning empty's to the Beer Store is not the same thing as "panhandling". More people than you realize depend on this income to LIVE. I think you are very out of touch from how many poor people live in this city.

Listen, I'll cut you some slack as a newbie here.

But you need to learn some etiquette and manners.

First, before you go throwing around accusations about what people think.............even quoting their posts............perhaps you could do with READING the posts you are quoting. '

I know exactly what I said, and it's there in print for you to read.

I was clearly discussing the value of the program from an ecological perspective, in that first section.

I said that clearly.

I was, and remain entirely accurate in my statement.

Second, I specifically addressed the issue of poverty in the second portion of my post, which you entirely ignored.

Finally, you don't know me.

But you could take the time to read my posts to get some understanding of who I am; as you ought to do with any other poster before imagining you know who they are.............

I've been advocating raising the minimum wage, and social assistance and expand healthcare coverage for decades.

I'm not remotely out of touch with this City; and am well acquainted with those who struggle to make ends meet.

Kindly don't repeat that kind of spurious nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: max

You don't "get" money for returning empties - you get money back - that's the very definition of a deposit. Check you invoice after your next purchase.

At the risk of perhaps sounding out of touch...I can see the value for homeless people in returning empty bottles (or they wouldn't do it), but isn't that a symptom of a larger systemic problem that needs to be addressed?

For others (like yourself, who I assume are not homeless or in dire poverty), I have a hard time imagining bottle returns being a worthwhile effort. I agree with Northern Light - just toss them in the blue bin.

People get cash for that old refrigerator you throw out, or that old wiring.

Recycle Old Wires and Cables; They’re Worth a Lot of $$!

From link.

Too Much Electronic Trash

Electronic waste is the fastest growing sector of the waste stream. In fact, 85% of our e-waste is sent to landfills and incinerators, and that’s not good for the planet. Electronics contain heavy metals and plastic made of various compounds that, as they break up over time, get released into the air, water and soil,potentially polluting the water we tap for drinking, washing and cleaning.

Communities are responding as the problem gets worse. Throwing e-waste away, even if it’s “only” electrical wires and cables, is illegal in the UK, much of Europe, and numerous jurisdictions in the United States.

Pollution aside, there’s another reason why it doesn’t make sense to trash e waste like wires and cables. They contain important and difficult to get metals like copper. Mining the copper needed to make cable pretty much destroys the environment around where the mines occur. Deep, open copper pits in places like Butte, Montana are infamous for how ugly, polluting and destructive they are.

Though other rare metals are used to manufacture wires and cable as well, copper is ultimately the most widely used electrical and electronic conductor on Earth. In the past few years, copper has become scarce, leading to higher prices, which in turns raises our cost of buying electronics, as well as more copper mines.

Recycling old wires and cables is one way to reclaim copper without all that environmental destruction.

At the risk of perhaps sounding out of touch...I can see the value for homeless people in returning empty bottles (or they wouldn't do it), but isn't that a symptom of a larger systemic problem that needs to be addressed?

For others (like yourself, who I assume are not homeless or in dire poverty), I have a hard time imagining bottle returns being a worthwhile effort. I agree with Northern Light - just toss them in the blue bin.
I have seen people rummaging through blue bins for aluminum cans (not deposit, just soft drink cans). You must be rather hard up to be trying to make money selling scrap aluminum. Or maybe it is just a hobby.

I have seen people rummaging through blue bins for aluminum cans (not deposit, just soft drink cans). You must be rather hard up to be trying to make money selling scrap aluminum. Or maybe it is just a hobby.

There is a woman who goes through the east end of Line 2 salvaging cans late at night. She has gloves, steel toed shoes and everything.

She is well known by TTC staff and Warden Station regulars for carrying garbage bags full of cans through the station every night. She means well but getting on buses and the subway with several large bags of cans is somewhat disgusting.

Aluminum pop cans - ~$0.25/lb (~33 cans/lb). We don't (no longer?) drink a lot and when it comes to beer I usually drink local craft which I get from either the LCBO or brewer. I have little desire to store up empty bottles and make a special trip to the Beer Store for a few cents.

Our county has a really good waste management program and we recycle everything, either curb side or taken to a transfer station (metal, wood, styro, HHW, etc.). There are only two of us but we normally toss a garbage bag every 4-6 weeks.

I stock pile my empties in the garage. I take them back every summer. Last summer i got over $50 back from the Beer Store. Next summer i should get back about a million dollars thanks to the shutdown. We are drinking a hell of a lot more at home. 🥴

Back