News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 628     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 375     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Toronto prefers to study and “consultation” and pilot something to death until events make inevitability obvious. Results in a lot of analysis paralysis. Somewhere, somehow, people designing the processes forgot that “more data” doesn’t mean “better” and there’s always a time/cost/benefit tradeoff.

This city absolutely needs more of the “F*** it, let’s do it!” attitude.

The problem is with councillors and bureaucrats who look for ANY excuse NOT change the status quo.

I don't know - I've encountered a few poorly timed lights in the city.

Forgive me for not knowing traffic signal stuff too well. But I was under the impression we did have a fairly robust "smart" traffic system already. I only say this because I recall it being talked about almost ten years ago, and over that time traffic has progressively gotten better. I swear things move much smoother than they did 5, 6, 7yrs ago (discounting Covid stuff of course). Or has that been an illusion because less volume?
And even before that. I recall 'timed' signals on major routes as far back as the 60s. Obviously, long before 'smart' or much of networked anything, but if you caught it right and kept to the speed limit you could said through green lights for miles. Obviously lighter traffic and I recall they were off-peak hours only.

I am surprised that the Transportation Dept thinks it can identify late running transit vehicles and adjust things to speed them. The TTC has never been able to do that.

But, cheap shots out of the way, this is the most substantial improvement plan I have seen. It appears to resist fixes in the downtown, but maybe there is a different strategy needed down there. If the new measures work in the burbs, it will be hard to keep them from spreading to the city centre.

So overall I would see this plan as a very positive step, let’s hope it leads to further improvements.

- Paul

Hi Everyone,

I am a filmmaker here in the city and I am putting together a grant application through a program at Hot Docs (By Nov 12). They are asking for projects that:
  • capture Canadian stories of people or groups who are actively involved in advancing social and cultural fabrics
Vision Zero came to mind as something that could be distilled into a short documentary that highlights the cities success and failures on this topic. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum knows someone who has been directly affected by inadequate infrastructure in the city (Or tactical urbanists, or community road safety advocates). I'm not set on this concept so if anything else comes to mind I would be open to hearing it. If this is an inappropriate use of forum space feel free to disregard the post. Otherwise feel free to reach out to my inbox on UT.

Hi Everyone,

I am a filmmaker here in the city and I am putting together a grant application through a program at Hot Docs (By Nov 12). They are asking for projects that:
  • capture Canadian stories of people or groups who are actively involved in advancing social and cultural fabrics
Vision Zero came to mind as something that could be distilled into a short documentary that highlights the cities success and failures on this topic. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum knows someone who has been directly affected by inadequate infrastructure in the city (Or tactical urbanists, or community road safety advocates). I'm not set on this concept so if anything else comes to mind I would be open to hearing it. If this is an inappropriate use of forum space feel free to disregard the post. Otherwise feel free to reach out to my inbox on UT.

You can cast the anti-"Vision Zero" councillors, like Holyday, Ford, Grimes, etc. (mostly from the suburban parts of Toronto), as the arch-villains of the documentary (with appropriate villain music).

Hi Everyone,

Consider talking to Dave, the Biking Lawyer

The City is set to apply for funding for some Vision Zero projects under the Covid Reliance funding stream from the Feds:

Report here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.EX19.2

Attachment here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-159137.pdf

1607009300067.png

Another cyclist tragically killed by motorists last night on a known problem stretch of Dufferin right outside Dufferin Mall. Once again, I'm outraged. When will the city get serious about protecting cyclists? What will they do to address this highway-esque stretch of Dufferin in a very urban area??

Another cyclist tragically killed by motorists last night on a known problem stretch of Dufferin right outside Dufferin Mall. Once again, I'm outraged. When will the city get serious about protecting cyclists? What will they do to address this highway-esque stretch of Dufferin in a very urban area??

We need to see how they will implement the priority bus corridor along Dufferin Street (and the other streets in the "plan"). Will they widen the street in the area? Will they include bicycle lanes? Et cetera, et cetera.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-15-at-9.40.49-AM.png

From link.

We need to see how they will implement the priority bus corridor along Dufferin Street (and the other streets in the "plan"). Will they widen the street in the area? Will they include bicycle lanes? Et cetera, et cetera.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-15-at-9.40.49-AM.png

From link.

Widening Dufferin here would mean taking space from Dufferin Grove park, so that's a non-starter for me, unless the extra space is used exclusively for protected bike lanes. Something needs to be done to stop the insanity of entitled drivers who treat this part of the street like a highway. Make the two curbside lanes bus-only.

Widening Dufferin here would mean taking space from Dufferin Grove park, so that's a non-starter for me, unless the extra space is used exclusively for protected bike lanes. Something needs to be done to stop the insanity of entitled drivers who treat this part of the street like a highway. Make the two curbside lanes bus-only.

As just discussed in the Crosstown thread, some amount of heavy traffic is inevitable and it has to go somewhere. Dufferin may be that street. Trying to somehow make serve both interests may not give either sufficient to meet their needs.

I wonder if the solution is to look for an alternative bike-priority route parallel to Dufferin - expropriate some houses and connect back streets with bike laneways, if need be - and leave Dufferin to the auto traffic.

- Paul

As just discussed in the Crosstown thread, some amount of heavy traffic is inevitable and it has to go somewhere. Dufferin may be that street. Trying to somehow make serve both interests may not give either sufficient to meet their needs.

I wonder if the solution is to look for an alternative bike-priority route parallel to Dufferin - expropriate some houses and connect back streets with bike laneways, if need be - and leave Dufferin to the auto traffic.

- Paul

Hmm, proving nothing, I just went on Streetview (images from Sept 2019, doesn't say which day that I can see).

Aside from this section of Dufferin showing very light traffic, I could identify only 2 heavy vehicles between Dundas and Dupont; excepting buses.

Doubtless Dufferin can be much busier at times; and I know from personal experience its much heavier w/traffic further north (Lawrence - Steeles)

Still, I wonder if that section doesn't have room to cut car capacity? Certainly, there's no immediate evidence it requires widening.

- Paul
The only time I bike in this area is when I need to go to Dufferin Mall, and this happened right in front of Dufferin Mall so I'm not sure how a parallel route would help.

In respect of road widening/narrowing more broadly.

Aside from considering alternate times of day for deliveries.

I have a few thoughts.

One, on many routes, the traffic is the personal vehicle, as opposed to the service vehicle/truck..

If one can remove 10-50% of the passenger cars by providing higher quality transit, it ought to be plausible to reduce some roads without car-capacity replacement.

I'd also put in for cutting the maximum size of trucks on City streets; I remain of the view that the 53-footers were always a mistake, as City road geometry does not and cannot support them at most intersections.

Going back to '48 Max would be prudent.

None of the above, unto itself creates greater safety for cyclists or pedestrians.

Narrowing roads can be helpful; cycle tracks with physical separation even moreso.

But some portions of these issues are about driver education; distractions while driving, visibility (here I'm not on about clothing or such, but about the way in which streetlights are often more harm than good).....

Lots of things can be done, lots of things should be done.

Last edited:

Back