News   Apr 18, 2024
 608     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I think this is one of the first (and maybe only so far) pictures of one of the Crosstown LRV sitting on the CP Rail-MSF siding waiting for unloading.

Have a good shot of 6207 on the flat waiting to be pickup by CP for TB and will post it when I get to it.

It will be nice to see the shocked Pikachu faces on all the LRT naysayers who claim its just a glorified streetcar when they see the coupled trains in action.
Except they are? The only thing separating Finch West and Eglinton East of Don Mills, and the 510/512 Streetcar, is the larger stop spacing and the fact that doors can open on both sides of the train. In every other way they are identical, and coupling the LRVs doesn't change that.

Except they are? The only thing separating Finch West and Eglinton East of Don Mills, and the 510/512 Streetcar, is the larger stop spacing and the fact that doors can open on both sides of the train. In every other way they are identical, and coupling the LRVs doesn't change that.

Coupling the LRV's changes the passenger capacity, something LRT haters claim is insufficient on these routes, and wider stop spacing is not just wider stop spacing, it's better speed, performance etc.

Coupling the LRV's changes the passenger capacity, something LRT haters claim is insufficient on these routes, and wider stop spacing is not just wider stop spacing, it's better speed, performance etc.
Ok, but that's frankly the smallest point? Not to mention that low floor LRVs even if coupled still have worse capacity than the equivalent light metro counterparts. Look at the Confederation Line in Ottawa where the entire system is significantly hampered by the fact that it runs on Low Floor LRVs. Imagine if the Eglinton Line was fully grade separated and ran on automated light metro technology similar to the Skytrain, it would've been so much better and so much more fitting for the corridor. Too bad the Councillors over at City Hall have their heads stuck so far up their asses where apparently, having the LRT cross intersections is somehow more favourable to elevated rail.

Last edited:
20201124_132139.jpg

Ok, but that's frankly the smallest point? Not to mention that low floor LRVs even if coupled still have worse capacity than the equivalent light metro counterparts. Look at the Confederation Line in Ottawa where the entire system is significantly hampered by the fact that it runs on Low Floor LRVs. Imagine if the Eglinton Line was fully grade separated and ran on automated light metro technology similar to the Skytrain, it would've been so much better and so much more fitting for the corridor. Too bad the Councillors over at City Hall have their heads stuck so far up their asses where apparently, having the LRT cross intersections is somehow more favourable to elevated rail.

The Eglinton LRT capacity is fitting for the corridor, and much of it is grade separated, having the LRT's cross intersections is preferable when it costs much less and where it does not need to be tunneled or elevated.

The issues with the Ottawa system have nothing to do with the choice of technology and everything to do with being the first line to use the Citadis Spirit (teething issues) and the incompetence of the p3 organization that built the line, worsened by a particular rag newspaper operating in Ottawa that will do anything it can to attack the current administration, blowing some of the smaller issues with the O-Train out of proportion.

The issues with the Ottawa system have nothing to do with the choice of technology and everything to do with being the first line to use the Citadis Spirit (teething issues) and the incompetence of the p3 organization that built the line, worsened by a particular rag newspaper operating in Ottawa that will do anything it can to attack the current administration, blowing some of the smaller issues with the O-Train out of proportion.
I feel like we're on different pages here. I'm ignoring any of the issues that arose of the line itself because its not the fault of the technology. In a perfect world where the line worked perfectly fine, why on earth does it use Low Floor LRVs? You are using a lower capacity mode of transport, with none of the benefits since its all grade separated.
The Eglinton LRT capacity is fitting for the corridor, and much of it is grade separated, having the LRT's cross intersections is preferable when it costs much less and where it does not need to be tunneled or elevated.
As Vancouver shows, the cost of elevating a line is not that much more expensive than having it at grade, and yet it will improve the service tenfold. Also, yes I agree that the Eglinton LRT capacity is fitting for the corridor, but don't forget that Toronto is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and TOD will begin to spring up like crazy. Can you safely say that the LRT will have enough capacity in 10 years? How about 15? Don't forget in the future that the line will directly connect the Mississauga Transitway and Pearson Airport, so the demand will also massively increase. The Eglinton Crosstown would've been much better off as a grade separated light metro, akin to the Skytrain or Ontario Line.

s Vancouver shows, the cost of elevating a line is not that much more expensive than having it at grade, and yet it will improve the service tenfold. Also, yes I agree that the Eglinton LRT capacity is fitting for the corridor, but don't forget that Toronto is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and TOD will begin to spring up like crazy. Can you safely say that the LRT will have enough capacity in 10 years? How about 15? Don't forget in the future that the line will directly connect the Mississauga Transitway and Pearson Airport, so the demand will also massively increase. The Eglinton Crosstown would've been much better off as a grade separated light metro, akin to the Skytrain or Ontario Line.

Even though the western section of the line will needlessly and wastefully be in a tunnel, the line would have handled the ridership just fine when that part was planned to be on the surface. I can definitely say the line will have enough capacity in 15 years since it was modeled out well beyond that time frame to be well under capacity.

Even though the western section of the line will needlessly and wastefully be in a tunnel, the line would have handled the ridership just fine when that part was planned to be on the surface. I can definitely say the line will have enough capacity in 15 years since it was modeled out well beyond that time frame to be well under capacity.
Yes, because when I think of a line that goes to the airport, I think of a line that has to stop at every intersection and make a ton of extra stops. Seriously name me one rapid transit line in a major city around the world, where the airport link is at grade. I'm waiting.

Back