Toronto Grand Avenue Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Realizing there was no thread for this project, so now there is one.

@Northern Light would you know what is going on here?

I believe its this:

Update: October 8, 2020 - A contractor will be improving the geotechnical properties in the soil in a couple of areas of the park through a method called Rapid Impact Compaction. This activity is loud and will cause vibrations which will be felt by nearby homeowners. There is no adverse impact to house structures. The activity will last 3 – 5 weekdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

You can sneak peak some of that info which is for 311 to answer people's questions:

The shape suggests its for the sports field; though, not being able to discern the angle of the photo; I couldn't rule out the parking lot, which would also require compaction.

The grade is a bit off-looking for a sports field......

1605390091253.png

Last edited:
They should include an ice rink facility and name it Winterpeg... >.<

It looked to me that the treated compaction area is pretty much the entire park other than the couple of spots where islands of trees were left—it's a huge area, that first shot was taken with my ultra-wide lens. (Originally it was thought they they would all have to come out due to soil contamination, but they must have found afterwards that those areas were not actually contaminated.) It appears that an immense amount of soil is going to be coming in to cover the grounds. I don't know how much of what types of soil, of course, but I am wondering specifically about topsoil. @Northern Light: is new topsoil created at farms strictly through compost, or…? (Wikipedia doesn't say.)

It looked to me that the treated compaction area is pretty much the entire park other than the couple of spots where islands of trees were left—it's a huge area, that first shot was taken with my ultra-wide lens. (Originally it was thought they they would all have to come out due to soil contamination, but they must have found afterwards that those areas were not actually contaminated.) It appears that an immense amount of soil is going to be coming in to cover the grounds. I don't know how much of what types of soil, of course, but I am wondering specifically about topsoil. @Northern Light: is new topsoil created at farms strictly through compost, or…? (Wikipedia doesn't say.)

Good question; and one to which I did not have a ready answer.......

So I messaged a contact who would know...............

Here's what I got back:

For a project like a park, it's usually sold by developers from a site that it has been stripped off to build a new development somewhere else. That’s the cheapest.

The parts of the site that will become garden beds are often topped off with triple mix, which is traditionally a mix of composted cow manure, topsoil and peat moss, but in reality can be a wide variety of materials and in different proportions. These days it can contain municipal compost and may not have peat moss in it now (peat mining isn’t considered sustainable).

Last edited:
This park will make for an excellent night time cityscape photography spot, once it is finished and HBS skyline grows up a little more

View attachment 284922

First, great pic!

Second, while I have an appreciation for the urban visual (it does look good); I can't help but see oodles of wasted light escaping these buildings.

Much like waste heat, it has an adverse effect on the environment (and one's ability to see the stars); but it's also a lot of unnecessary energy.

Last edited:

Back