Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Then I almost forgot about this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundidora_Park

...which I am pretty sure isn't the only example of industrial structures turned into park museum pieces around.
This model (the post-industrial ruin as a destination in itself) has a few precedents -- e.g., Gas Works Park in Seattle, and SteelStacks in Bethlehem, PA. Another one I love is the Shougang 3 Blast Furnace Museum in Beijing.

The Atlas Crane is hardly comparable to these in scale or ambition, but I still think it will make for great point of interest in the port lands.

Guessing the barge will be reused for each of the bridges?
It will be use for bridge 2 since it will beside this one. Bridge 3, 4 and 4 a will see the barge, but not the turntable.

Bridge 4 & 4a may come by 2 barges since it makes up one bridge unless they decide to do 2 different run. The 2 sections will use the shipping channel to be off loaded to be welded together. The final bridge will be move into the new Commissioners bridge location by low deck mover and place into position by cranes on both side of the new channel as far as I know at this time.

As for the Atlas Crane, it will be great to see them in the new park and a reminder to our past.

Nonetheless, glad they are keeping it.

Indeed, and let's further hope that the crane is but a teaser for the eventual adaptive reuse of the Hearn -- now that would rival SteelStacks and Gas Works Park (though the Blast Furnace Museum will retain its rightful place atop the mantle of post-industrial awesomeness).

Did anyone see or get shots of the bridge being place last night??

Has anyone shot the bridge today in its resting place, as it will be a few days before I get back down there to shoot it??

The barge flag is an Canadian one that was built in 2012, not Netherlands as stated.

Did anyone see or get shots of the bridge being place last night??

Has anyone shot the bridge today in its resting place, as it will be a few days before I get back down there to shoot it??

The barge flag is an Canadian one that was built in 2012, not Netherlands as stated.
Last evening. No movement. At 11pm the floodlights were turned off. Doesn't appear to be any movment as of this a.m. from what I saw from our balcony.

Attachments

• 20201110_114028.jpg
    20201110_114028.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 20201109_164719 (1).jpg
    20201109_164719 (1).jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 174
Indeed, and let's further hope that the crane is but a teaser for the eventual adaptive reuse of the Hearn -- now that would rival SteelStacks and Gas Works Park (though the Blast Furnace Museum will retain its rightful place atop the mantle of post-industrial awesomeness).
Would absolutely love to see the Hearn get repurposed. It would cost a mint to clean that place up, but what a monumental, cavernous space it is - the potential is as enormous as its hulking presence! Imagine it as an event space hosting concerts, dance recitals, installations... it's a stupendous building and it's a legitimate part of Toronto's waterfront heritage.

Last I heard, the Hearn was sold off by the province last year. How do you think we proceed from here?

I love this post not merely for its sentiment but for its means of expressing same.

post-industrial awesomeness

Love that turn of phrase!

Back