News   Mar 28, 2024
 264     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I suspect that the bidders who low balled ie crosslinx, bid on incomplete drawings and did not factor much for extras. They surprise everyone with an amazing number, but as shown, once changes are needed the dollars just keep on piling up.
Source: I work in the buildng construction consultant industry

I know someone who was involved in a competing bid. His response was that "they have screwed themselves here - they have left absolutely zero room for error." His organization's bid was a half-billion higher because they accounted for some likely problems that they thought were bound to appear during construction, but he felt that considering how the project has gone that they still would have been in trouble.

Dan

Where's the grass, man?

we-hear-you-have-grass-man-20433704.png

From link.

Glazing Installation at Golden Mile, Birchmount, O'Connor and Wynford Stops
Date
aae10e38-a81e-4b0a-8a7f-fc5f62796aec.jpg
Shelter installation has been ongoing across the surface alignment for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, beginning October 21, 2020, crews will perform glazing installation at the Wynford, O'Connor, Golden Mile and Birchmount stop shelters. Glazing consists of glass Installation works for the LRT shelters.
What to Expect
Single-day lane closures will be required for material deliveries and collection at each stop. Eastbound and westbound lane closures will be implemented at the Golden Mile (Warden Ave) and Birchmount stops on October 21 and 28, 2020 and at the Wynford and O'Connor (Victoria Park Ave) stops on November 9 and 16, 2020.
Hours of Work
  • Work will begin take place on October 21 and 28, 2020 at the Golden Mile and Birchmount stops.
  • Work will begin take place on November 9 and 16, 2020 at the Wynford and O’Connor stops.
  • Work may occur from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., seven (7) days per week, Monday through Sunday.
  • Work may be rescheduled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Traffic & Pedestrian Details
  • Westbound traffic on Eglinton Ave E will be restricted to one lane west of each stop location.
  • Eastbound traffic on Eglinton Ave E will be restricted to one lane east of each stop location.
  • There will be no changes to existing pedestrian routes at the intersection.
Transit Information
  • There will be no changes to existing TTC stop locations at the intersection.
Other Information
  • Due to the nature of this work, at times there will be noise around the work area.

Some of these intersections are going to be problematic.

Birchmount and Eglinton has a gigantic hump where the track has been raised up through the intersection. If your car is too low and you are going too fast you will destroy the front of your car. We have a mazda 3 and have clearance issues driving over it.

Come the winter, snow plows are going to have a hard time plowing north/south streets through intersections with eglinton because in most cases the trackbed through intersection is higher than the north/south roads. I am fully expecting accidents or other issues this year at Birchmount and Eglinton.

My father jokes that if he gets up enough speed in his Dodge Magnum (it has about 560 HP) he could get airborne ala Ferris Bueller at that intersection.

The yellow strip edge for subway stations is now been found every where where vehicles of all type stops.

GO Transit Platforms, streetcar stops with platforms and bus stops have the yellow strip these days. As bus stops get rebuilt or added, yellow strip are being added. It starting to happen to other systems as well.

Birchmount and Eglinton has a gigantic hump where the track has been raised up through the intersection. If your car is too low and you are going too fast you will destroy the front of your car. We have a mazda 3 and have clearance issues driving over it.

Crazy. An unmodified Mazda3 isn't low by any standard. This will (should) be rectified.

Come the winter, snow plows are going to have a hard time plowing north/south streets through intersections with eglinton because in most cases the trackbed through intersection is higher than the north/south roads. I am fully expecting accidents or other issues this year at Birchmount and Eglinton.

My father jokes that if he gets up enough speed in his Dodge Magnum (it has about 560 HP) he could get airborne ala Ferris Bueller at that intersection.

it's very unlikely there will be clearance issues unless you're driving a really really low car, and you're driving really fast, in that case that's your fault. Left turns have been banned on eglinton at birchmount due to these raised tracks and space limits. This seems to only be a birchmount issue. other streets on eglinton do not have these raised tracks and are level.

it's very unlikely there will be clearance issues unless you're driving a really really low car, and you're driving really fast, in that case that's your fault. Left turns have been banned on eglinton at birchmount due to these raised tracks and space limits. This seems to only be a birchmount issue. other streets on eglinton do not have these raised tracks and are level.

They raised the road quite substantially here. The Bus Stop had to be relocated because after the tracks went in, the SE corner had a steep incline that didn't exist before.

You can visibly see how much higher the tracks are than the road. It's like they laid the tracks ontop of the road here and paved around them

@Richard White isnt exaggerating here, the trackbed is raised very high at the Birchmount and I have no idea what the rational is for it. It's to the point where I even worry about the axles of heavy duty trucks and buses which literally mount the intersection.

I havent been to the area in a while, so its news to me that they relocated the SE bus stop on Birchmount. I have no idea why the didnt grade the entire southern approach of the intersection higher when the were reconstructing the intersection.

@Richard White isnt exaggerating here, the trackbed is raised very high at the Birchmount and I have no idea what the rational is for it. It's to the point where I even worry about the axles of heavy duty trucks and buses which literally mount the intersection.

I havent been to the area in a while, so its news to me that they relocated the SE bus stop on Birchmount. I have no idea why the didnt grade the entire southern approach of the intersection higher when the were reconstructing the intersection.

It's temporarily relocated because currently you can't access a bus from the original stop with climbing up a slope and in. Far from being wheelchair accessible and even for someone able bodied like myself it's unsafe.

Have the regular lanes been repaved? That would be one of the last things done, could be the cause of the hump here.

Back