Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Update, new interesting looking piece of the puzzle arrived a few minutes ago while I was out for a walk at lunch.
View attachment 274844

If you flip the piece 90 degrees clockwise, you can see that it would fit nicely at the top of diagonal pillars+yellow support tripod pictured on the left.

If you flip the piece 90 degrees clockwise, you can see that it would fit nicely at the top of diagonal pillars+yellow support tripod pictured on the left.

Yup, see below for illustration - flip the node over - the asterisks connects, the plane in the first pic (formed by the extended plates with the boltholes) represents the upper floor - note: not saying this node will go to this specific connection.

1602104096781.jpeg

1602104126839.jpeg

(pics by @Benito)

AoD

Last edited:
It never dawned on me that while above grade construction was suspended due to permit issues the super columns were being assembled off site all along. What a pleasant surprise. This is awesome.

It never dawned on me that while above grade construction was suspended due to permit issues the super columns were being assembled off site all along. What a pleasant surprise. This is awesome.
Does anyone know where?

Does anyone know where?
The structural steel supplier is Walters Group. They have a few plants but my guess is that these are being fabricated at their Stoney Creek facility

The structural steel supplier is Walters Group. They have a few plants but my guess is that these are being fabricated at their Stoney Creek facility
what are the odds. I’m based in Winona. I could take a swing by there tomorrow to see if any future pieces are on site.

what are the odds. I’m based in Winona. I could take a swing by there tomorrow to see if any future pieces are on site.

Pretty sure my brother-in-law Casey has a management job at Walters in Stoney Creek (unless he just retired), and he knows full well what a skyscraper geek I am... the bugger!

Suffice to say I am following up with him. 😒

So one thing I find interesting is that there are no horizontal attachment points for the first hanger exoskeleton. I wonder how they transfer loads from the hanger to the super-column.

View attachment 274964
View attachment 274965

1602120274575.png

I think you are assuming that it will be connecting to the first section of the megacolumns - I think it is higher in the second section because the node itself will add some additional height (that's also where you have a plate sticking out). Another giveaway is that the two diagonal columns are touching at the (false) ceiling - but not as they are installed right now. Also I am not sure how much loads they will need to transfer at this level given it's already supported...

1602120559322.png

It will be interesting to see how the structure evolves.

AoD

Last edited:
Yup, see below for illustration - flip the node over - the asterisks connects, the plane in the first pic (formed by the extended plates with the boltholes) represents the upper floor - note: not saying this node will go to this specific connection.

View attachment 274909

View attachment 274910
(pics by @Benito)

AoD
I think it helps to note this asterisk of iron goodness, are in fact are likely two objects that will join up with those diagonal support columns per corner in the eventual. They are together like that as picted likely for ease of transport...being awkward shapes and all. If they ain't that, I'll eat a pigtail!

Back